PDA

View Full Version : Shop Aprons

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2011, 2:06 PM
Anyone got a good recommendation? I'm tall and while I don't want the apron dragging the ground, I would like it to come down to about thigh height.

ray hampton
10-25-2011, 2:30 PM
the idea length of aprons for me are about 8 to 12 inches below my knee

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2011, 2:49 PM
the idea length of aprons for me are about 8 to 12 inches below my knee

That was my first take too. My sister-in-law made an apron (scaled for my old girth) and it was just too long. I'm thinking one a bit close to my knees than to my waste would work. I'm guessing the one from LV is probably the one I want for two reasons, 1) I like the look, and 2) I just placed an order and it's too late to add it <g>.

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-25-2011, 3:00 PM
I have tried a dozen different aprons over the years. An absolute necessity for me is NO strap around the neck. I don't want the weight hanging from my neck. One of my favorite aprons was from Bridge City Tools. It has nice large pockets, criss cross back straps, and a nylon buckle in the back. I don't think they are made any more.

I have a Fire Hose apron from Duluth Trading. It's well built, but is heavy and hot. I don't use it in the summer.

At work I have a Park Tool SA-3 Deluxe Shop Apron with Header. The upper pockets have snaps at the bottom. When unsnapped, if you lean over nothing will fall out of the pockets. It also has a lower flap that will snap up so the apron is shorter, down it's slightly below my knees. It also has criss cross back straps.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SA-3-Deluxe-Header/dp/B000WY8I26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319568700&sr=8-1

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at that one earlier and noticed it was just below the $25 mark for free shipping. I think it was about he highest rated one on Amazon too.

I have tried a dozen different aprons over the years. An absolute necessity for me is NO strap around the neck. I don't want the weight hanging from my neck. One of my favorite aprons was from Bridge City Tools. It has nice large pockets, criss cross back straps, and a nylon buckle in the back. I don't think they are made any more.

I have a Fire Hose apron from Duluth Trading. It's well built, but is heavy and hot. I don't use it in the summer.

At work I have a Park Tool SA-3 Deluxe Shop Apron with Header. The upper pockets have snaps at the bottom. When unsnapped, if you lean over nothing will fall out of the pockets. It also has a lower flap that will snap up so the apron is shorter, down it's slightly below my knees. It also has criss cross back straps.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SA-3-Deluxe-Header/dp/B000WY8I26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319568700&sr=8-1

Ellen Benkin
10-25-2011, 3:30 PM
I like the Rockler aprons. Criss cross in the back so they don't hang from my neck and cheap enough to replace when they wear through. Lots of pockets, too, although I have to sew the bottom of the pencil pockets so the pencils can be easily retreived.

Maik Tobin
10-25-2011, 3:40 PM
I have a Rockler one that i bought last year....overall I like the crisscross feature, the length is great, but the pockets are a pain in the butt. With no flaps, they fill with sawdust and get caught on things. I may just stitch them closed.

daniel lane
10-25-2011, 4:29 PM
Well, crap. I was about to suggest the green canvas one I have from Duluth, but it appears they don't make it any more. Crossover straps in back (nothing on neck), many and good sized pockets, good length... I'll have to start taking better care of it if I can't replace it! :(

daniel

Ron Kellison
10-25-2011, 5:37 PM
I have the Lee Valley apron and love it!

Tim Thomas
10-25-2011, 6:35 PM
I can also vouch for the Lee Valley Mk. II Canvas Apron. Sturdy, comfortable, well designed. Much better than the leather tool belt that I used to wear. The big pockets on the front of the apron are awesome. The don't get sawdust in them, but are easy to access. I use the small pocket at the top to keep my pencil, small notepad and 6 inch ruler at the ready. Really a great design.

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-25-2011, 6:41 PM
The Lee Valley apron looks good and they make very nice tools. I would have a problem with the lack of room for pencils. I carry at least 6 to 8. I'm always setting them down and loosing them. If I carry a whole bunch of them, by the end of the day I still have a pencil or 2.

Chris Kennedy
10-25-2011, 7:15 PM
Anyone got a good recommendation? I'm tall and while I don't want the apron dragging the ground, I would like it to come down to about thigh height.

Jerome,

I'm 6'4" and use a Lee Valley Mk I. I quite like it and it fits well. I would buy a Mk II after my experience, but my Mk I won't seem to wear out.

Cheers,

Chris

Dave Cav
10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
The Lee Valley apron looks good and they make very nice tools. I would have a problem with the lack of room for pencils. I carry at least 6 to 8. I'm always setting them down and loosing them. If I carry a whole bunch of them, by the end of the day I still have a pencil or 2.

I had the same problem with my Lee Valley apron. I just sewed vertical sticthing on the top pocket to make pencil dividers and now I can put eight or ten pencils or markers in the top pocket without them falling out. A shop teacher can never carry too many pencils and pens around. The side pockets are great; they carry a lot (too much) stuff and don't catch sawdust.

Jerome Hanby
10-26-2011, 6:10 AM
I saw a review that recommended that one, and I too couldn't find it on the web site. Funny they ditch the one they get compliments on and keep the one that everyone complains about...

Well, crap. I was about to suggest the green canvas one I have from Duluth, but it appears they don't make it any more. Crossover straps in back (nothing on neck), many and good sized pockets, good length... I'll have to start taking better care of it if I can't replace it! :(

daniel

Harvey Pascoe
10-26-2011, 8:35 AM
I also have the LV and don't like it so I altered the straps, cut it in half just above the pockets and sewed the snap end straps back on to make it an around the waist apron only. Everything falls out of the upper pocket anyway, which is oddly slanted, so eliminating it was no loss. I did not like the way it pulled on my neck and did not like the crossing straps which I though were a nuisance.

Joe Adams
10-26-2011, 9:04 AM
I like the Fastcap ballistic woodturner apron. It's longer than their other aprons and so light you forget you have it on. Their ballistic kilt apron is made the same way but with more pockets.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10037

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10036

Randy Henry
10-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I tried something different from the norm, I like it. The loml adjusted (cut) the sleeves into short sleeves, and put flaps over the lower pockets, using the material from the sleeves, to keep the dust out of the pockets. Lightweight and comfortable to wear.
http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/KT30/Shop-Coats.html

For $24.00 and $6.00 shipping, I ended up ordering another one to have for when the orignial one goes into the washer.

Don Jarvie
10-26-2011, 1:46 PM
+1 on the Rockler apron. Very comfortable.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-26-2011, 2:07 PM
Since I have a Tormek, naturally I gravitated to the Tormek cabinetmakers apron. I like it, no weight on the neck. NO hammer loop though. Although I don't know if you want a hammer on your apron. So it's a little PITA to find that belt hammer loop under the apron. Although I don't have any expierence with other aprons if they have a hammer loop. I was thinking that if I had the apron, I wouldn't have to wear that tool belt.....

Jerome Hanby
10-26-2011, 2:16 PM
I saw a picture of that one and could never ID the product. I think that fits my idea of what I want better than the others I've examined. It looks a lot like the one my sister-in-law made just on a smaller scale. Does it crisscross in the back? No hammer = no problem for me, I'd never carry one. Small engineers square, small notebook, #1 Odd Job, tape measure , and a pencil ... maybe a utility knife.

Since I have a Tormek, naturally I gravitated to the Tormek cabinetmakers apron. I like it, no weight on the neck. NO hammer loop though. Although I don't know if you want a hammer on your apron. So it's a little PITA to find that belt hammer loop under the apron. Although I don't have any expierence with other aprons if they have a hammer loop. I was thinking that if I had the apron, I wouldn't have to wear that tool belt.....

Tim Thomas
10-26-2011, 11:16 PM

I used to have this same problem until I found the "Pencil Pull". I have 2 of them. One I keep a pencil in and the other has a sharpie marker. Really cheap, and I can't lose my pencil now. It is always on my hip.

Hans Braul
10-27-2011, 5:03 AM

Before I got the LV apron I left pencils everywhere, as I did with rulers, tape measures, squares etc, etc. The apron has changed my habits and I now strictly return items to the pockets where they belong. My standard getup is:
- in the top pockets from left to right: a six inch flat square, a six inch rule, a 4" sliding square and two pencils
- in the bottom pockets, a tape measure on the right, misc whatever in the left
- I clip my DC remote to the apron top and I'm set.
This arrangement works for me just about regardless of what I'm up to.

Regards
Hans

Rich Engelhardt
10-27-2011, 9:38 AM
I used to wear a cheap Harbor Freight one, but, I felt I was getting too complacent & comfortable with the idea of wearing a snag hazzard around power tools.
I ditched the apron and went back to the basics I was taught a long time ago.

I do wear the HF one if/when I'm doing jobsite type work - but - whenever a saw or router come out, the apron comes off.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Jerome, yes it cris crosses in the back. It's the only "real" shop apron I have. I had another, that hung on my neck, had tons of pockets, but they all filled with dust/chips since they were open and in the very front. So it also got in the way, since I tended to put everything in those pockets, whether I needed them or not. I like that Tormek one. Don't know who makes it. The design "looked" better than the others I looked at. It is hard to tell from pictures, how functional an apron is.

David Hostetler
10-27-2011, 2:19 PM
I presently have a "Husky" ballistic nylon apron that I DO NOT like... It has some nice features, but it hangs off the neck with a thin nylon strap, and causes me shoulder / neck pain. It also does a poor job of keeping the sawdust / shavings from the lathe off of me. All it is really useful for is being able to carry tools and nails out to the yard for doing quick repairs like nailing up a new fence picket or so...

Jerome Hanby
10-27-2011, 4:09 PM
I ordered the Tormek. Found a good price at Klingspor...and I recalled I needed several more glass disks and Klingspors abrasive assortment packs for the Work-Sharp 3k...

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I'll post my thoughts on the Tormek apron after I receive it!

Bud Millis
10-28-2011, 3:11 AM
Real woodworkers use aprons? I used to wear one a long time ago, mostly for finishing. I don't anymore.

Jerome Hanby
10-28-2011, 9:03 AM
I'm just tired of being covered in saw dust and having my carrying around tools trying to drag my shorts down...

Dave Lehnert
10-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I have used this one for many years and works great for holding tools when working.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21692

I don't own the Shopsmith apron but it is well made and most likely buy it when I need a new one.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sa_mostvesitileapron.htm

I have this one from Ace hardware stores. I use this when I just need to protect my clothing from dust or wood stain etc. when i don't need pockets for tool. Cheap and made with good material.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1334163&CAWELAID=109375807

Sears also has one similar to the Ace brand but is made with thinner material. Still would get this one if Ace was not close by.

Mike Konobeck
10-29-2011, 3:23 AM
I had one custom made. Contact CW McCellan of McClellan Leather Craft (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=16634). GREAT guy and does nice work. Had one made for my 3 yr old daughter for xmas last year. Should grow with her for a few years. Hopefully mine grows with me too. :-) Hopefully he still makes them. Do a search for CW McCellan or leather aprons and you will see quite a few happy customers have posted.

Jerome Hanby
10-29-2011, 9:18 AM
I had contacted about an apron a few years ago when I needed one built for a large man. Never got around to ordering one and now I'm no longer nearly as large, so i think an off the shelf model might work. Seemed like a super nice guy, the pictures of his work looked awesome, and he sure knew exactly what to ask for measurement wise...

I had one custom made. Contact CW McCellan of McClellan Leather Craft (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=16634). GREAT guy and does nice work. Had one made for my 3 yr old daughter for xmas last year. Should grow with her for a few years. Hopefully mine grows with me too. :-) Hopefully he still makes them. Do a search for CW McCellan or leather aprons and you will see quite a few happy customers have posted.

Bob Rankin
10-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm getting the Rockler woodturners apron very soon, I like how it's very high at the top to keep dust off my shirt and neck. Leather too, I think dust would get in the canvas right?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17200

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2011, 8:24 AM
I received a package from Klingspor that included the Tormek apron. I'm no expert, but for my taste and what I was looking for, it's perfect. Once I got the straps adjusted it was just the right length, straps were long enough to wrap around and tie in front. The pockets most likely to catch saw dust had flaps. Had enough pockets for what I like to carry around (tape measure, pencil, small engineers square, utility knife) without being overkill. Apron was a little lighter than I anticipated, but as long as it holds up, that's not a bad thing.

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I like the Rockler on very much. Pockets fill with sawdust but not too bad. I vaccum them out when needed or flip upside down. I also switched to $5 T-shirts from Walmart so I could just ruin them. I do not think I can get away from dust - its on my pants shoes hat or hair anyway that the apron does not cover.

Mike Cruz
11-03-2011, 9:28 PM
Jerome, if you are still in the market, here's my advice. I don't remember where I got mine, but I got it for turing. It is fairly thick leather (great protection), has pencil holders on the left breast, a pocket on the inside of the apron on the left thigh, and closes around the neck to keep chips from getting down your shirt. I used to have another apron that I used for flat work, but it caught all the dust in the chest area. I now use the turning apron for all work. Once it is on for a couple minutes, I forget it is there...

Jerome Hanby
11-04-2011, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. It's so hot and humid here most of the year, that I'm worried about leather making that worse. So far I like that Tormek apron, but if it's isn't tough enough to last, I'll try to track this one down.

Jerome, if you are still in the market, here's my advice. I don't remember where I got mine, but I got it for turing. It is fairly thick leather (great protection), has pencil holders on the left breast, a pocket on the inside of the apron on the left thigh, and closes around the neck to keep chips from getting down your shirt. I used to have another apron that I used for flat work, but it caught all the dust in the chest area. I now use the turning apron for all work. Once it is on for a couple minutes, I forget it is there...

Mike Cruz
11-04-2011, 9:51 AM
Jerome, I get ya with the heat. My shop is air conditioned, but not like 72...more like 78-80. I really have to say that I don't find it uncomfortable in the summer, but of course that is personal opinion. Here is a link to a pic of it on me yesterday.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175170-quot-Creeker-quot-Visit-of-a-Monster-sort

Don't know why, but I think I got it from Rockler. And I just got something in the mail yesterday about Rockler having free shipping...

Jerome Hanby
11-04-2011, 10:50 AM
That's a nice looking apron. Looks like good protection too!

Tony Zaffuto
11-04-2011, 2:31 PM
That was my first take too. My sister-in-law made an apron (scaled for my old girth) and it was just too long. I'm thinking one a bit close to my knees than to my waste would work. I'm guessing the one from LV is probably the one I want for two reasons, 1) I like the look, and 2) I just placed an order and it's too late to add it <g>.

I received an order from LV yesterday with the leather shop apron in it (I've had a denim apron for more years than I can remember, time for replacement). Anyhow, some quick comments about it. I like the length--comes to about mid-thigh. Has a few pockets on the chest--nice, but no other pockets--minor not so nice. The jury is out on the straps, however. They are stiff nylon and the the top digs into my neck. On the bright side, they should be very easy to replace over the coming months if they bug me enough. Price for the apron was around $32 which is not bad for a stout, leather apron.

Paul Gatti
11-06-2011, 1:13 AM
I've been using a Ben Davis Teamsters Apron (http://www.bendavis.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=3&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=160) for as long as I can remember. It has enough pockets to hold everything and offers good protection for my pants. This is especially helpful during glue-ups. I hate picking dried glue out of my jeans.

Adam Slutsky
11-06-2011, 7:47 PM
+1 for the Lee Valley apron...it is great