PDA

View Full Version : I need some basic tool use learning material recommendations.

Tim Boger
01-06-2012, 4:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been turning for 5-6 years, mostly segmented pieces and usually bowls. Having been 99% self taught via DVDs and you-tube videos I thought I was doing pretty good until I decided to make a simple captive ring on a 12" spindle. The roughing to round is simple but when I start to make the cove and beads I soon realize that what I'm good at has caused me to shy away from what I don't know how to do. I'm struggling with the spindle gouge and have no idea how to use a skew.

I do have a Raffan DVD "The new Turning Wood" and it has good info. I'm ready to back up and learn some good habits.

Where do you all suggest I go from here?

Thanks,
Tim :confused:

Marty Eargle
01-06-2012, 4:41 PM
Bob Hamilton has a great Youtube page that you NEED to take a look at. He's making some really good videos for turners. Here's the link to his first video in a series of videos about using the skew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCyAcmZRvM

http://www.youtube.com/bobham5

Jim Howe
01-06-2012, 5:12 PM
Nothing is better than joining a local club and getting someone experienced in what you are trying to learn stand next to you at the lathe. Then you can pay that forward to someone needing help with what you know well.

Scott Hackler
01-06-2012, 5:24 PM
And don't feel you "have to" use either a skew OR a spindle gouge. I only have one spindle gouge (1") and don't use it all that often. Bowl and detail gouges for almost everything. Captive rings can be done with the dedicated tool or detail gouge (just a little harder and more to sand off in the inside).

+1 on joining a club and attending the closest symposium (for the demos)

Tim Boger
01-06-2012, 6:33 PM
Hey Marty .... thanks for the links to Bob's videos on youtube, I'll be checking them out this evening.

Jim .... I surely agree with you in that a mentor in person is invaluable, I spoke this afternoon with one of the principles of The Palmetto Woodturners Club here in Columbia, SC they meet 1 Sat. a month. Saturdays are a work day for me which is why I haven't signed up previously but will look into taking that 1/2 day off as needed. Some things are more important than working dang it.

Scott .... your statements make sense, however, it is time to broaden my skills and un-learn some of the bad habits I've become to accustomed to.

Thanks guys!

Brian Effinger
01-06-2012, 9:54 PM
Tim - I have to agree with the others about a mentor, so if you can take a day off, you should. It's only work! :D In the mean time check out Cindy Drozda's dvd's or on Youtube. I don't think she does captive rings, but she is a master at spindle turning. I took a hand's on class with her a few years ago, and while I could turn beads and coves before, my skill went up considerably under her instruction and practice.