PDA

View Full Version : QSWO Bar in a residence

Leo Graywacz
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Packed it up and dragged it over to the clients house today. Got to the shop at 8 and didn't get on the road until 10:30. All I had to do was put a back on a cabinet and mount the doors. The rest was just loading and travel. Got there and unloaded, then it was noon so we had lunch.

Went in pretty smooth, a few minor adjustments had to be made because I never fit it in the shop. Just trusted my measurements. Most were less than 1/16" adjustments. So all was good.

Here are the pics. Did the cabinets in the background too, that was the 1st phase. One more phase to go, the paneling.

http://fototime.com/DEC907187F07F1A/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/896F877FE9AECBE/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/7B61E2ECFECDF8B/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/55BB2BDF8D89C03/orig.jpg

Here is the backside of the bar, no counters yet.

http://fototime.com/4353218CE7E942A/orig.jpg

Todd Burch
01-10-2012, 1:16 AM
Very nice Leo! That is one shiny MO FO!!

What's your finish schedule for the top and doors?
What do you fills the pores with?
How do you anchor, in the last picture, that partition to the floor?
What will go in the recess in the back cabinetry?
Is that pre-finished ply you are using for the cabinet side, bar-back and partitions?

Awesome!

Todd

Leo Graywacz
01-10-2012, 8:39 AM
Finish schedule for the doors had evolved after I found the products promises were not up to real life experiences. I For the doors I used a product from ML Campbell called Level Sealer. It is a clear sealer that can be put on pretty thick compared to most post catalyzed products. For the doors it was make the doors, sand them to 150, apply the custom stain color, then tape off the bevels and spray 2 rounds of the sealer. Spraying the sealer is two box coats that end up about 10 mil thick and then set aside for an hour. Then another box coat and another hour of dry time, then the tape on the bevel was removed and a third box coat was applied and it was let to dry overnight. The next morning I sanded the crap out of everything until I dare sand no further because I didn't want to hit the color coat which is a disaster because you need to strip and start over. I had to do one cabinet over. I have since learned how to repair a burn through pretty well. Then everything was coated with a Semi Gloss precat called MagnaKlear.

The top was done the same way with the sealer, 3 rounds of sealer, let dry, sand as far as I dared. But because this is a full fill and not a partial fill like the doors I shot another 3 rounds of sealer and let that sit for about a week so it would shrink up as much as possible so the grain wouldn't telegraph through later. The bar rail was done differently after I experimented. I did a grain fill using Elmer's Wood Putty and then hand sanded the rail. Then I did the staining and the Level Sealing the same. It was a bit easier and actually had no change in look.

The bar paneling was done with the Elmer's grain fill technique which made it much easier to do, especially the bevels, the thumbnail surrounding the bevels was the only thing not grain filled, it would have been a serious PITA to do that and all the extra sanding and digging the extra filler out of the corners. Still only a partial grain fill just so the coating doesn't look crappy because it won't flow into the pores of the White Oak. Red Oak pores are almost non existent compared to the White Oak

The partition has two pocket screws into the back plywood and then one pocket screw into the floor at the front of the panel. It is for appliances so I'm not worried about them being seen. The far left opening is pretty clean looking because it will have a trash can in there so you will be able to see it.

The large recess will have a mirror in it and then glass shelving with a wood front edge for extra support, the two side cabinets will also have glass shelving but will have a polished front edge.

alex grams
01-10-2012, 1:45 PM
leo, what was the purpose of taping the bevels? I presume you were talking about the bevels on the raised panel? Did you want a shinier finish on the door panels and framing vs the raised panel mouldings?

very nice looking, and an excellent finish.

Leo Graywacz
01-10-2012, 2:44 PM
The panels need to move during seasonal changes. This coating will bridge that gap and when the panel changes size it will fracture and crack. It would look very bad and be very hard to repair. The tape prevents to much of the sealer from getting in that critical area.

Scott T Smith
01-10-2012, 3:19 PM
Leo, that really looks outstanding. Thanks for sharing, and also thanks for sharing your finishing technique.

Ben Hatcher
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Outstanding as always, Leo.

Jeff Monson
01-11-2012, 3:16 PM
Leo, your work is very inspiring, beutiful as always.

glenn bradley
01-11-2012, 4:40 PM
Just beautiful Leo.

Eric Bong
01-11-2012, 11:14 PM
That is a beautiful bar! Thanks so much for posting it. The finish looks amazing.

Jim Becker
01-13-2012, 8:44 PM
Really nice work, Leo!