PDA

View Full Version : Need some pics of entertainment centers you have built please.

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 3:47 PM
I have to build an entertainment center 11 feet wide and 8 feet tall. I was hoping you all could post some pictures of your builds to help inspire me. This one will have a 70" tv in the center with some display cabinets above it and columns on either side. Below the TV will be the stereo equipment. I'd like to see anything you've got though and I greatly appreciate it.

Dick Mahany
02-04-2012, 4:06 PM
Here's one I built a few years back. Just after I completed it the big screen died. Fortunately I was able to resize the center bridge section easliy for the new TV. It is 11.5' W and the center section is 7'.
Tons of storage and the AV equipment Other than DVD player and recorder) is hidden inside, cooled by low volt muffin fans. There is an infra red detector built injust above the tv and a Xantech repeater to control the hidden electronics. The two fluted columns on the center section actually open and house 4 foldable TV trays.222524222526222525

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 4:37 PM
Very nice job. I already see me adapting some of your design into this one. I like the crown molding and the curved accents at the top that drop down.

Todd Burch
02-04-2012, 6:57 PM
I've done a couple.

222534 222533 222535 222536

Todd

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 8:12 PM
Absolutely beautiful Todd. The one w/ the fireplace is almost identical to the second one I need to build. Thanks so much for the ideas. keep em coming folks.

Jamie Buxton
02-04-2012, 9:17 PM
Here's a different approach. The basic idea is that the TV sits on the cabinet, out in plain view. The cabinet is big enough to contain the support electronics -- cable box, DVD player, etc.

In this sketch, the TV is a 46" unit, but the owners think they may go bigger. The cabinet is 60Wx22Dx30H. That depth is sufficient for most components plus the connectors plugged into the rear. These doors are a grille. Hot air and IR beams go through them. There are no knobs or hinges in the design. The hinges are cup hinges. To open a door, you stick a finger through the grill. This avoids the assymmetry which would be obvious if there were knobs on the doors.

For a bigger TV, perhaps the cabinet would be wider. It kinda depends on how much room you have. But this much interior room is quite likely to hold all the electronics of most systems.

Dick Mahany
02-04-2012, 9:47 PM
Here's a different approach. The basic idea is that the TV sits on the cabinet, out in plain view. The cabinet is big enough to contain the support electronics -- cable box, DVD player, etc.

In this sketch, the TV is a 46" unit, but the owners think they may go bigger. The cabinet is 60Wx22Dx30H. That depth is sufficient for most components plus the connectors plugged into the rear. These doors are a grille. Hot air and IR beams go through them. There are no knobs or hinges in the design. The hinges are cup hinges. To open a door, you stick a finger through the grill. This avoids the assymmetry which would be obvious if there were knobs on the doors.

For a bigger TV, perhaps the cabinet would be wider. It kinda depends on how much room you have. But this much interior room is quite likely to hold all the electronics of most systems.

Like it a lot. Simple, clean, elegant.

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I really like the cabinet door design you have there. I build trays for my humidors like that. I hadn't considered making doors that way. Very cool.

Ken Deckelman
02-05-2012, 4:53 PM
Mine:

Some Facts:
Just under 8' wide
2' deep
Cabinet grade MDF core red oak veneer material used for the carcass
1"x3" red oak used for the faceframes, doors, and drawer fronts.
Perforated metal used for the door filler for airflow
Clear semi-gloss water based top coat x4- PolyAcrylic
Weighs a ton! Probably 200 pounds without the granite top.
Accurride drawer slides and Blum hinges used.