PDA

View Full Version : a David DeCristoforo and wood ID needed

joel nucifore
03-18-2012, 8:28 AM
First try at a David DeCristoforo and let me say it was fun THANK YOU David for the great form to try and follow....

but not sure what the wood is had it for a long time????????????227440227441227442

also finishing up this one227443

bought this bench grinder stand way to small so converted it to a rolling cady227444

now to do the HONEY DO LIST!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-18-2012, 8:36 AM
Joel. Glad to see you've got things up & have started turning again. Now let's get to some Big Stuff !! I know you've got the tools to do them with.;)

John Keeton
03-18-2012, 8:45 AM
Nice work, Joel! David D. certainly has created some fantastic and inspirational pieces. It appears you did well with this tribute! Better pics would help, though.;)

My guess on your chunk of wood is black walnut with a touch of burl.

Do you know what the wood is on the other piece being finished? Look forward to the finished pics of it, as well - perhaps with a nice side profile shot.

joel nucifore
03-18-2012, 9:14 AM
thanks Joe looking for the right pc of big wood to do LARGE did one walnut about 32 inches but think I can go bigger LOVE the sinner system it is smoooth.

John thank you, I think I need to start looking at a photo set up now that I on my way...

The red one was Box Elder clear as could be oiled it but looked so plain, went with the Joe Landon method on it and happy so far . Learned alot doing it....

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice work on the tribute goblet! What did you use for coloring on the HF? Looks good!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Really nice goblet.

Michelle Rich
03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
you have studied his pieces and done a grand job recreating his vision. A very appealing piece

Bill Bolen
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
A fine job. I think DD will be as proud as a new Daddy!!

Harvey Ghesser
03-18-2012, 1:43 PM
Joel, you had me fooled!

James Combs
03-18-2012, 2:04 PM
Joel, those are some great looking turnings and you got the DD inspiration down pat.

I have to go along with John K. on the wood. I have turned a few pieces of Black Walnut and your wood looks just like it.

Bill Wyko
03-18-2012, 3:19 PM
Absolutely superb. It really draws me to it. I think the figure in the goblet just comes alive. Well done.

David DeCristoforo
03-18-2012, 3:22 PM
Arrg! He's created a monster!!! It looks to be an excellent form but I have to parrot a couple of others in asking for a better photo. It's hard to see much of the detail or even "read" the form as a whole with so small a photo and against the dark and heavily textured background. The wood looks fantastic. What is? And size? More info!

BTW, the wood is walnut. Looks like another "amphora" on the hoof!

David E Keller
03-18-2012, 4:30 PM
Neat piece, but larger pictures would be great. I suppose the wood could be walnut, but it looks a lot more like elm to me… The burly area especially looks like elm burl.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-18-2012, 4:46 PM
Joel,
Great effort copying such a difficult piece. Doing so can make you appreciate how difficult a long stem can be, especially when turned as thin and well proportioned as David makes his. Thank goodness for imaginative people so the rest of can try our hand at really neat designs.
faust

Richard Coers
03-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Looks like Siberian Elm to me.