PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking/Woodturning in Germany

Chris Knoth
04-13-2012, 8:29 AM
Gents,
I haven't posted much but have lurked in the background for quite a while. The Army has saw fit to station me in germany and I was curious if anyone in the croud had any expierence with woodworking/woodturning over here. There has to be some places to acquire woods and tools just wondering where to start? Thanks for any help!

Chris

Roger Chandler
04-13-2012, 8:31 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Chris...........can't help with your question, but if I had info, I certainly would.........just wanted to welcome you!

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2012, 8:49 AM
Chris - Welcome!

I am sure that things have changed since I was in the service but there used to be a base or post hobby shop that catered to woodworkers. I also remember that finding wood in Germany was not easy... so hopefully your local hobby shop will be a good source for you!

Where in Germany?

Barry Richardson
04-13-2012, 9:19 AM
I was told that Spangdahlem AFB has a first rate wood hobby shop. Just checked their website... looks like it's still there. May not be close to where you're at, but a good place to start your quest.

Chris Knoth
04-13-2012, 1:48 PM
Gentlemen, thanks for the responses! I'll definately check out the on base options. I think Spangdahlem is fairly close. I still have about 2 weeks before I am able to move in to an apartment/house off post and probably 1-2weeks after that before my stuff arrives but I wanted to check things out before everything comes. Thanks again!

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-13-2012, 2:21 PM
Chris, if at all possible, try to visit Oberammergau (Bavaria). When I was stationed in Germany (over 40 years ago) this was and I'm sure is still full of wood carving shops. It seemed like the whole town was nothing but carvers - a real gem for lovers of wood.

Kurt Johansson
04-13-2012, 4:42 PM
Hello Chris. Go to Google, search for Drechseln and you will find a great deal of woodturning. As I do not know where in Germany you will be working it is hard to give informations. If in Southern Germany you may go to Olbernhau-Seiffen and Neuhausen, the old centers for woodturning in former DDR. Woodturning tools and equipment can be purchased at Drechselcentrum Erzgebirge in Olbernhau, they have a homepage, just write Drechselcentrum Erzgebirge. In northern Germany you may look for Maderas Drechseltechnik in Klinkrade, their hompage can be found by searching for Maderas drechseltechnik There are quite a lot of woodturners in Germany to be found, just use internet. Kurt Johansson Sweden

Chris Knoth
04-14-2012, 2:01 PM
I guess I should have said in the beginning post. I'm currently stationed in Stuttgart. It seems great so far!

Montgomery Scott
04-14-2012, 2:15 PM
Probably your best bet is to obtain supplies from England at Craft Supplies UK http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

machines could be obtained from a Centauro dealer http://www.centaurospa.it/catalogo.php I'll bet Mini-Max USA could point you in the right direction

Deane Allinson
04-14-2012, 2:30 PM
Have a Parkbrau for me while your there.
Deane