PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa wood

kevin nee
04-16-2012, 1:20 PM
I have been offered some mimosa wood. It was cut down and to log
length (3 ft) 6-8 months ago. Free is it worth $20 for gas round trip.
Any pros or cons.

Jim Burr
04-16-2012, 1:59 PM
Grab it. From what I've seen, it's beautiful stuff.

Wally Dickerman
04-16-2012, 2:21 PM
A friend gave me a chunk of wet and pretty mimosa. I rough turned it with no problems but when I remounted it after it was dry....problems. I found it difficult to get it turned between sneezes!!

Sid Matheny
04-16-2012, 2:40 PM
I have never turned mimosa but have seen some nice items made from it. Around here you try to kill mimosas as soon as they come up so not a lot of big trees here now.

Sid

Dale Miner
04-16-2012, 2:48 PM
What Wally said.

Jim Burr
04-16-2012, 3:47 PM
What Wally said.

If you guys are sneezing and coughing...what failed respiratory protection are you wearing?

Roger Chandler
04-16-2012, 3:49 PM
Just make sure that you use respiratory protection............mimosa is pretty, but can really cause respiratory issues, :eek::eek::eek: you never know if you are one of the ones who will have a severe reaction to it..........until you have already exposed yourself to the wood while turning it..............just be careful!

Marty Eargle
04-16-2012, 4:19 PM
First and foremost, I would need a guarantee that the ends of those logs have been properly sealed and you're going to be able to get check free blanks out of it. As for Mimosa itself, I didn't have a great time turning the few pieces I have, for sinus reasons along with it being a pain to sand. But, it did result in some of the most beautiful bowls I've ever turned. It can be stunning wood.

Dennis Ford
04-16-2012, 6:44 PM
+1 on respiratory issues
+1 on beautiful wood
It is also very stable (almost as stable as mesquite) but not so much that it can be left in log form without sealer for 6 - 8 months.

Reed Gray
04-16-2012, 7:04 PM
I always turn wet wood, and mimosa, the last time I turned it, and the last time I ever turned it got me a bit congested. Enough warning for me to see the light. It is a legume with seed pods, like the locust trees, red bud and a few others. They can cause respiratory problems. Pretty wood, feels lighter weight than it looks. I didn't have problems sanding it, but then I use the LDD (liquid dish washing detergent) soak and it sanded out fine.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2012, 7:32 PM
Love mimosa. Great turning wood. I just wear my respirator.