PDA

View Full Version : Paste wax OVER satin poly?

Sammy Shuford
04-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I sprayed (from a can) 3 light coats of satin poly on a picture frame. The resulting surface was a little rough. I've let it cure for 3 days, and plan to go over it with 0000 steel wool.

Can I apply wood wax on top of the satin poly?

When spraying poly (satin) should I spray until surface looks wet?

Thanks

Jerry Clark
04-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Is this Poly or laquer such as Deft. Poly take longer to dry. I would sand it with 320 and spray a light coat on-- then you can wax over after dry, but the wax will just be a coating and will not go into the poly or wood. Anytime you spray, just put on light coats and let dry and sand between coats. Don't load it or you will have runs and the poly will not cure under heavy coats. :rolleyes: My 2 cents!

Bob Reda
04-28-2005, 6:17 AM
Sammy,

When spraying put on the coat until it looks wet but don't overdue it . Its a fine line between a wet coat and runs! Between coats use a 3m pad to rough up for poly. I usually hit the next to last coat with 220 sandpaper to remove any blemishes and after the last coat dries I use 320 wet dry sandpaper with water with a drop of soap to start rubbing it out. I follow that with either a Johnson paste wax or I use an automotive compound called Finesse II , depending on the look I want.