PDA

View Full Version : Which glue to use??

Joe Ruszczyk
06-07-2005, 3:47 PM
I am starting a maple goblet turning project and have had difficulty finding a great glue to use to anchor the blanks to my face plate! I don't want just a good glue, as I don't want to have ANY worry about 25 pound blanks spinning off in the initial turn down! What should I use? :confused:

Jim Becker
06-07-2005, 4:21 PM
One does not glue to the metal faceplate. Screw a sacrificial glue block to the faceplace and then use CA or yellow glue to attach your blank, depending on whether you want "instant gratification" or not.

Gary Max
06-07-2005, 4:44 PM
Plus a 25lb goblet is a heck of a big goblet---why not start out with something smaller??

Brad Schmid
06-07-2005, 5:50 PM
Joe,

Also, depending on how you're orienting the wood will determine your method. With grain parrallel to the bed, would mean you'd be gluing end grain to the face grain of the sacrificial glue block. This won't be a strong bond by any stretch no matter what glue you use.

If it's 25 pounds with straight grain and oriented like a spindle turning (which is the only way to have good strength in a goblet stem), I would put it between centers, turn a tenon, and then chuck it and leave the tailstock as long as possible.

Brad