PDA

View Full Version : how to make a tight fit

Jack Wood
06-18-2005, 7:44 AM
This is probably a simple thing but I'm missing it for some reason(lack of brain cells?)I am trying to make some home made bench dogs from 3/4' oak dowels and my problem is that when I drill a 3/4 hole the dowel fits loose in it:confused: How do I make a hole that will be snug but not impossible to get the dowel out? Thanks!

Mark Singer
06-18-2005, 7:52 AM
Jack,

I use a bullet catch on one side...from Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/hardware/groupshots/01b10xx.jpg

Doug Shepard
06-18-2005, 7:56 AM
I don't think your drilling technique is to blame. It's more than likely your dowel being undersized. If you've got a lathe available and can turn your own dowels to a consistent thickness, that's probably the cleanest fix. Otherwise you might try the next smallest drill bit you can find then use a reamer to enlarge the holes until the dowel fit is right.

Dale Rodabaugh
06-18-2005, 7:56 AM
I would drop down one drill size,then ream it out a little with a rattail file if its to tight.I am sure you will get some other suggestions here.hope this helps.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Richard Wolf
06-18-2005, 7:58 AM
I make custom size drill bits all the time.

Use a cheap spade bit and beltsand or grind a small amount off each side. You can even make tapered holes this way.

Richard

Dave Avery
06-18-2005, 8:59 AM
I make custom size drill bits all the time.

Use a cheap spade bit and beltsand or grind a small amount off each side. You can even make tappered holes this way.

Richard

Great idea, Richard. Thanks for the tip. Dave.

Peter Mc Mahon
06-18-2005, 9:38 AM
The tapered hole is only as deep as the length of the blade of the bit. If you are going to do this then you need to set a stop on your bit so it only just cuts through the underside of your bench. If the length of the blade goes all the way through, the hole will not be tapered.

Jack Wood
06-18-2005, 5:31 PM
Once again the Mill comes through. These are great tips that I am going to try this afternoon. THANKS!

Greg Mann
06-18-2005, 7:14 PM
Dowels are to the size claimed as studs are to 2 x 4.

Another approach, although temporary, is to soak 'em in water for a few moments. They will swell to their original size, in this case 3/4, and fill the hole for a while. The only problem is that the next day they will have fallen out and you will need to look all over the floor for them. :o

Greg