PDA

View Full Version : Festool Woe's

Rich Torino
07-22-2005, 9:26 AM
Hi everyone...

I decided to take advantage of the Festool close out sale and ordered an ATF 55 on Monday. I was pleasantly supprised when it showed up yesterday....
However I "think" I have a couple of problems...
First of all when I opened the package saw was askew in th systainer. There was no type of packing material holding the saw in place. The next thing was one of the hand screws for the angle adjustment was off and in the bottom of the box. The small carriage bold that it is attached to appeared to be missing but was found under the plastic tray the saw sits on.
I then proceed to read the instruction manual and while I didn't cut anything I did turn the saw on. The first thing I noticed was a lot of ratteling noise while the saw got up to speed. There was also a strong electrica/ozone smell which I believe is usually an indicator of the armature hitting the brushes. Needless to say I was not impressed. If fairness to Festool I haven't spoken with them yet due to the time difference. I plan to call them in another half hour due to the time difference.
Has anyone had any similar type problems?? My first clue was how the saw was packed.. Should there be some sort of packing/styrafoam to hold the saw in place?? Any feed back will be appreciated...

John Lucas
07-22-2005, 9:43 AM
Rich,
I can feel your pain. Let me shed some light based on my experience. First the packing. The saw sits in a molded base that should hold it in position. On the lid, there should be a soft rubber pad to press on the saw from above, keeping it fixed for transit. Check to see that those are in place. If they are, I wouldnt worry about the saw's travel.
As to the loose screw... not good but very good that you found the components. It is easy to put back in place and you can follow the other one for order of parts.
As to the "rattling noise", my guess is that it is the normal noise. This saw and the way they design the electronics, the electronic brake mechanism mostly, sounds that way. It takes getting use to. Your test will be the first cut. If it is smooth, then I would think the saw blade is stable...and therefore the armature.
BUT, no matter what I say or any other response, call the Festool 800 number that is in the box and talk it over with them. You know that they have a 30 day return policy. They also have some of the best repair technicians around who can help you get everything normal. And if you do have to send it to them, they have the fastest turn around.

Bob Marino
07-22-2005, 9:50 AM
Hi everyone...

I decided to take advantage of the Festool close out sale and ordered an ATF 55 on Monday. I was pleasantly supprised when it showed up yesterday....
However I "think" I have a couple of problems...
First of all when I opened the package saw was askew in th systainer. There was no type of packing material holding the saw in place. The next thing was one of the hand screws for the angle adjustment was off and in the bottom of the box. The small carriage bold that it is attached to appeared to be missing but was found under the plastic tray the saw sits on.
I then proceed to read the instruction manual and while I didn't cut anything I did turn the saw on. The first thing I noticed was a lot of ratteling noise while the saw got up to speed. There was also a strong electrica/ozone smell which I believe is usually an indicator of the armature hitting the brushes. Needless to say I was not impressed. If fairness to Festool I haven't spoken with them yet due to the time difference. I plan to call them in another half hour due to the time difference.
Has anyone had any similar type problems?? My first clue was how the saw was packed.. Should there be some sort of packing/styrafoam to hold the saw in place?? Any feed back will be appreciated...

Rich,

There is a foam strip on the top of the systainer, which combined with the cutout with the saw's imprint should have (but obviously didn't) hold the saw in place.
The whiney sound you hear is the sound of the electronic speed control circuitry doin' it's job - that is maintaining the saw's set speed and is perfectly normal. Never heard of a
But do give them a call and ask for Dave McGibbon, Festool's Service Manager for any and all technical questions.

Bob

JayStPeter
07-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Rich,

There's also an online manual at the festoolusa.com site. Click Service->Tool Manuals from the top menu. I'm not sure what they send with the saw these days, but it's a huge improvement over what I got.
I was initially disappointed with the sound of the saw. It sounds weak and rough, but it is actually neither.

Jay

Rich Torino
07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the feed back..... I feel a lot better about the nosie and yes there is a piece of what looks like styrafoam that would under normal conditions hold the saw in place. I plan to call Festool and will let everyone know what they say..

John Stevens
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Nobody bats 1.000, not even Festool. Given that fact of life, the important thing to me as a consumer is whether the problems are fixed promptly and fairly (i.e., I receive the value I paid for). I think part of the reason Festool charges premium prices is to pay for the outstanding customer service they're known for. I've bought three saws, three sanders, a router, a vac, an MFT and numerous accessories from Festool. There were a few problems, including one item damaged in shipping and one tool with a manufacturing defect, but both were replaced immediately at no charge. Let us know how it works out for you.

Dave Falkenstein
07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I think the link information that Jay gave you will lead to the same manual that Festool sends with the saw. The link for the improved and expanded manual is:

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/ATF55E.pdf

As noted, everyone at first is concerned about the "growling" noise that this saw makes. The noise is covered in the expanded manual above. It is normal and a part of the speed control mechanism.

You have purchased one great saw that will amaze you with its versatility and accuracy.

Rich Torino
07-22-2005, 1:57 PM
Just spoke with David McGibbons at Festool.... All is well, just as the replys from you folks stated the noise is normal and a product of the electronic speed control. This was the major concern I had. I plan to try the tool out this weekend and hopefullly with no problems...
I want to thank everyone for there replys... That's what makes this forum so great....
Rich in Florida

Ron Kanter
07-22-2005, 2:49 PM
I also jumped on the discounted saw, and mine also arrived angled in the box and not secured in the tray. Too much flex in the plastic tray maybe.
Doesn't seem to have caused any damage, I won't really have a chance to use the saw until this weekend.
By the way, the 55" guide arrived strapped to a peice of plywood. Simple and effective. Even my UPS guy would have a hard time breaking it!
Ron