PDA

View Full Version : CA Finish and Pens

Matthew Poeller
10-25-2005, 9:54 AM
I have been using CA glue on that last couple of pens that I have done. I have a problem when I try to remove the blanks from the blanks. I end up seperating some of the dried glue from the blank when I remove the bushing which have basically been glued to the blank.

What is the easiest way to consitently remove the blank from the bushing without cracking the dried glue finish?

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Matthew,

I use a craft knife to "score" the line between the bushing and the barrels. THen I get a clean break.

I will be interested to see others tips.

Joe Melton
10-25-2005, 1:19 PM
After you have used your pen mill on the ends of the blanks, lightly press each end into a can of something like Johnson's paste wax. Then put them against the bushings on the mandrel and turn and finish. You will quickly turn off any wax on the wood.
The wax will prevent the wood sticking to the bushings.
I've not tried the scoring technique and see no reason it wouldn't work, too.
Joe

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 2:03 PM
Joe, your method is so simple! I will give it a try next time I turn a pen. The scoring method works, but you have to be very careful to score in the right spot.

Matthew Poeller
10-25-2005, 2:59 PM
I have been trying the "scoring" technique with my small parting tool. You are correct though, you have to be very careful to score in the right spot.

The wax idea sounds pretty good except that I think the main problem is that i get a CA glue buildup that extends from the bank onto the bushing and I have found can be up to a 32nd thick and run the eitire length of the bushing. Is my main problem that I am using too much CA glue?

The reason that I have used so much is that I have found that when I use too little it is very easy for me to sand through the CA is certain spots (spots where I inadvertantly put too much pressure on the piece) which makes for a very poor looking finish. I try to put enough CA so that I can sand and buff without going through the CA in any spot.

Ron Parsons
10-25-2005, 9:23 PM
Take a cloth and rub a little past wax and roll your bushings in the PW. Dry off the PW with a dry clth.