PDA

View Full Version : Question on installing Jointer knives

Carl Eyman
07-02-2003, 5:08 PM
This morning I installed a set of newly sharpened jointer knives. I'd done it many times, This was my first go at it since I'd had a dial gauge. Thought I'd be really scientific about it. When finished I found the knives all out of kilter!

The knives were all way too high. I apparently was measuring the height at a point other than top dead center. I reset them with a straight edge and found when I then checked them with the dial indicator at top dead center that I had them about .003" higher than the outfeed table. Is this about what others do?

Chris DiCiaccio
07-02-2003, 5:41 PM
This morning I installed a set of newly sharpened jointer knives. I'd done it many times, This was my first go at it since I'd had a dial gauge. Thought I'd be really scientific about it. When finished I found the knives all out of kilter!

The knives were all way too high. I apparently was measuring the height at a point other than top dead center. I reset them with a straight edge and found when I then checked them with the dial indicator at top dead center that I had them about .003" higher than the outfeed table. Is this about what others do?

Maybe this will help. I made this jig recently and found it more helpful for using my dial indicator than the magnetic base that came with it.

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/jointer_tablesetup.shtml

Todd Burch
07-02-2003, 8:35 PM
I set my knives dead even with the outfeed table. Setting them high will cause a cup in the edge (a gap in the middle when two boards are laid edge to edge). Not so noticable on short stock, but 5' or longer you will see it.

Todd.

Steve Clardy
07-02-2003, 8:56 PM
I set mine .001 above the outfeed table. Yes, this does give the boards a very slight gap in the center when laying two or so together to glue up a panel. I like to pull the center together slightly. I end up with no gaps on the ends. Also, the instruction book for this jointer says to adjust it this way. I think some of the manufacturers vary somewhat on how they set them. Most I have found is to set them level with the outfeed table.
Steve