PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary Stand

Lee DeRaud
12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
LOML has an old leather-bound dictionary that currently just sits flat on a chest in her spare room...she wanted a way to display it. Strictly design-on-the-fly, using some red oak I had laying around. (The lip at the bottom is jarrah, partly as an accent, mostly because it was already the right size.)

In retrospect, this is one of those projects that really wants to be finished before assembly: my hands are just too big to do a good job of rubbing out all those odd corners, so it came out a bit shinier than I wanted. So it goes...it will spend most of its life hidden by about six pounds of paper.:p

tod evans
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
pretty cool lee. did ya make your own dowels?

Martin Lutz
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Your design that looks great. I would love to be able to come up with ideas like that on the fly. Nice job.

Lee DeRaud
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
pretty cool lee. did ya make your own dowels?No, that's a story in itself: I saw a wine rack about ten years ago that I wanted to build, then decided it was too big for where I wanted to put it. Buying 80' of 3/4" oak dowel was as far as I got in that process. Dunno if I'll ever find a use for all of it, but at least it doesn't take up much room.

Shelley Bolster
12-08-2005, 12:12 PM
That IS cool.......I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas to make one for my daughter - the teacher. That would be great on her classroom desk!

John Miliunas
12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Very neat, Lee!:) Like Martin said, I wish I could come up with designs like that just on the fly! Very unique. Good job. :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2005, 1:27 PM
Looks great Lee. I am like the others I wish I could come up with ideas and run with them. Have to give them some thought.

Jim Dunn
12-08-2005, 4:43 PM
An on the fly design?? Takes me years to make up my mind what color to stain it. Neat idea put to good use!

Jim

Corey Hallagan
12-08-2005, 7:13 PM
Great idea Lee! I think it looks great!

Corey

Gail O'Rourke
12-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey, that's great! I am making a dictionary stand for my kids, was working on it today, I like your ideas here and will have to keep them in mind. Cool.

Vaughn McMillan
12-09-2005, 1:03 AM
Very slick idea, Lee. I like the way the through-dowels look from the top. (Although, as you said, all your nice work will be covered by a big ol' book.)

- Vaughn