PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace CD Disk drive...

Joe Tonich
07-19-2003, 7:06 PM
in a computer? I cannot install any programs as the disk driver(?) keeps saying it is inaccessable. It doesn't want to eject the CD's either and I usually have to do the Paperclip thing to get it open. (Push it thru the small hole to hit the thing that opens the door) :( Can I just replace the hardware? I have a Compac Presario 5030. Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Joe - who HATES working on computers. :( :(

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 7:34 PM
Failry easy to do Joe. Just take the cover off of the CPU, locate the Drive unit, unplug it and remove it. It may be screwed in, or held in with clips. Surprisingly enough, the "innerds" of a Computer are not as complicated as one may think. Most of the components are easily accessable, and they just plug in. I am sure someone here has more experience with this than I, so hang in there and someone will no doubt have more detailed instructions for you. (I had a Compaq Computer before my Dell, but I never had it apart, except for cleaning.) Computers............they are the greatest when they work right.........and will drive you nuts when they don't!

Jason Roehl
07-19-2003, 8:33 PM
Make sure you touch the power supply before you touch anything inside (you have to touch it with the computer still plugged in, but off). Also, the CD will have 2-3 cables: power, data (wide, flat one) and possibly an audio (red & white) to the sound card. In addition there should be a jumper across two of the pins in a 6- or 8- pin grouping that determines whether the drive is a slave, master or cable-select. CD drives are typically set as a master. You'll have to determine how the existing one is set and set the new one to the same.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-19-2003, 8:40 PM
in a computer? I cannot install any programs as the disk driver(?) keeps saying it is inaccessable. It doesn't want to eject the CD's either and I usually have to do the Paperclip thing to get it open. (Push it thru the small hole to hit the thing that opens the door) :( Can I just replace the hardware? I have a Compac Presario 5030. Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Joe - who HATES working on computers. :( :(
To follow up on what has been said, it is pretty easy. Most any drive you purchase will have fairly good instructions on how to set the jumpers and how to install.

Joe Tonich
07-19-2003, 8:48 PM
Thanks,

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. If it don't work out, I'll be back with more Q's. Just glad the replies didn't say "Get another computer" :p That would KILL any tool aquisition in the forseeable future!

Joe

John Miliunas
07-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks,

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. If it don't work out, I'll be back with more Q's. Just glad the replies didn't say "Get another computer" :p That would KILL any tool aquisition in the forseeable future!

Joe

Joe, hope I catch you before you go get one. As long as you're doing it, I'd really suggest you upgrade to a CDRW, aka, record-able CD. It's a fantastic way to backup data easily and economically. CDRW prices have come down so much, it's almost a waste to get a regular CD ROM drive. Just make sure you get one with some type of "burn protection". Different OEM's will have varying names for that. Just ask any halfway intelligent sales person and they should be able to direct you in the right direction. And, as the other guys said, swapping one in is usually a pretty easy endeavor. Good luck! :cool: