PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Mices

Peter Stahl
03-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Is it possible to have more than one wireless mouse on the same desk? We have 3 PC at work with wired mouse's and would like to go wireless. I'm guessing if they were different brands it might work but if we get 3 of the same exact type then any one mouse can be recongnized by any PC. Each PC is about 1-1/2 feet apart. Anyone do this? What brand of mouse do you prefer?

Tim Morton
03-17-2006, 10:30 PM
yes you can....each one will have a linking station and the linking station will attach to the computer. I have had two wireless mice on one computer with no problems...(two linking stations)...I have a logitech mx1000 wireless laser mouse that is very nice. the mx501 mouse is not nearly as nice..but not awful.

Vaughn McMillan
03-18-2006, 6:03 AM
As a note, I've had no success using a wireless mouse on a metal desk. I use an old government-issue steel desk at home, and it took me three different mice to figure out it was the desk and not the meeces.

- Vaughn

Peter Stahl
03-19-2006, 6:08 AM
yes you can....each one will have a linking station and the linking station will attach to the computer. I have had two wireless mice on one computer with no problems...(two linking stations)...I have a logitech mx1000 wireless laser mouse that is very nice. the mx501 mouse is not nearly as nice..but not awful.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. If the mouse is the exact same brand and model won't the linking station pick up the others? I'm worried about the three linking station (which I'm guessing is the the thing you plug into the mouse port) all 3 using the same mouse at the same time (e.g. all 3 mouse pointer moving at the same time, etc.). We definitly can't have 3 mice going at the same time on each screen and click who knows what on 2 of them. These PC's are for our Operating system (i.e. Pumps, Compressors, valves, etc).

Peter Stahl
03-19-2006, 6:14 AM
As a note, I've had no success using a wireless mouse on a metal desk. I use an old government-issue steel desk at home, and it took me three different mice to figure out it was the desk and not the meeces.

- Vaughn
Vaughn,

Thanks for the reply. I get that with my mouse at home and put a piece of paper under it. My wife wanted a blotter on the desk so now our desk (was mine till I had the bright idea to teach her how to use a PC)so now no problem using the mouse. They don't like reflective surfaces very much. We have wired laser mice at work on a laminate surface with no problems.

Vaughn McMillan
03-19-2006, 7:12 AM
Peter, I know what you mean about reflective surfaces and laser mice. But in my case, the steel desk (with a laminate fake woodgrain top) is causing some type of interference with the RF signal between the wireless mouse and the receiver. I can take the same mouse and use it with no problems on my particle board/plastic laminate desk at the office.

- Vaughn

Peter Stahl
03-19-2006, 7:28 AM
Peter, I know what you mean about reflective surfaces and laser mice. But in my case, the steel desk (with a laminate fake woodgrain top) is causing some type of interference with the RF signal between the wireless mouse and the receiver. I can take the same mouse and use it with no problems on my particle board/plastic laminate desk at the office.

- Vaughn
Vaughn,

I thought it was just the laser under the mouse giving you trouble. You need to build a big wood desk. I've seen your work, you do better with your scraps then I do with stuff I bought for a project! When I was in the lab by myself I had a trackball and liked that the best but the guys we have at work have enough trouble with a mouse.

Tim Morton
03-19-2006, 8:16 AM
Tim,

Thanks for the reply. If the mouse is the exact same brand and model won't the linking station pick up the others? I'm worried about the three linking station (which I'm guessing is the the thing you plug into the mouse port) all 3 using the same mouse at the same time (e.g. all 3 mouse pointer moving at the same time, etc.). We definitly can't have 3 mice going at the same time on each screen and click who knows what on 2 of them. These PC's are for our Operating system (i.e. Pumps, Compressors, valves, etc).

Each mouse (meece?) should link to JUST its own dock. There is a button on the dock that you push and then one on the mouse for it to link up. Since the distance is up to 50 feet or so i am sure the company tok into account the possiblilty of having more than one mouse in the same room. You should not run into any stray meece tracks:D

Peter Stahl
03-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Each mouse (meece?) should link to JUST its own dock. There is a button on the dock that you push and then one on the mouse for it to link up. Since the distance is up to 50 feet or so i am sure the company tok into account the possiblilty of having more than one mouse in the same room. You should not run into any stray meece tracks:D

Never looked on the little buggers belly, lol. I didn't know you could link them like that. I have a MS Mouse and one on another PC I got from HD which I think is a GE. I'll look at them when I get home. Thanks for the reply Tim.