PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security?

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-14-2003, 6:35 PM
I just downloaded Zone Alarm, and disabled the McAfee Program, Firewall Plus, that was loaded onto our new Dell Computer that we bought a week ago. Wallah! I can now view the photos posted in the messages! :D I tried and tried to figure out why the photos wouldn't show up with the McAfee program enabled, but it is beyond me. My question is this: Is Zone Alarm adequate protection for my computer with our new Cable Modem Connection? I can always enable McAfee again, as I left the software on my system, if need be. I hope that the Zone Alarm program is adequate, because I can now see the pictures again, which is a good thing! So long as I have adequate protection from the internet scum, I will just use Zone Alarm, and leave McAfee as it is. Thanks for the advice, suggestions and help! :D

Dan McLaughlin
08-14-2003, 6:48 PM
Kevin:

ZoneAlarm is excellent. If you are happy with the free program, I would suggest considering Zone Alarm Pro. We used Pro here on a Cable modem until I purchaed a hardware firewall. We still have ZoneAlarm Pro installed, just disabled. We needed to purchase a router- that's the reason we discontinued ZA

Bart Leetch
08-14-2003, 7:56 PM
There is a free anti-virus program that works great with zone alarm I have used it with 3 computers running W98 & now have it on 2 Dell 2350 running xp. You can get it here they continue to have updates.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-14-2003, 9:42 PM
Once again, the Sawmill Creek Gang comes thru for me! :D Thanks Bart, I downloaded the Virus Program you use, and it looks great..........i appreciate the tip. I have Zone Alarm running, and I got rid of McAfee, and my problems are cured. I will try to resolve the McAfee issue with Dell. Dell had the McAfee software loaded on my machine when we received it, so maybe they can figure out what the problem is. If Zone Alarm does the job, along with AVG Virus Protection, I won't need McAfee. Thanks again, everyone who helped my have kept me from having a Stroke...........the Blood Pressure was getting up there! :p
(Did I mention that I HATE Computer problems I cannot resolve?)

Jim Becker
08-14-2003, 10:32 PM
ZoneAlarm is one of the best software-based firewalls available. The Pro version is even better. Be aware that Pro's "pop-up" blocking can make some sites not work, such as WOOD ONLINE!

But do consider a hardware firewall. Most also include what you need to network multiple machines to the same connection, too, which is great when you have multiple people who enjoy using the Internet (or have both a work machine and a personal machine that you want to use the access).

David LaRue
08-14-2003, 11:08 PM
You should consider either a hardware firewall with NAT, or a dual NIC software solution like WinProxy. Then put your computers on a non-routable IP segment, and turn off all your unneeded services, just to start. :) Then add either Zone Alarm or Sygate on each computer (especially laptops that you connect to hotel lans).

With Sygate you can block ports, IP addresses and services quite easily. If you go to a hardware solution, a switch is better than a router, and if you go wireless make sure you turn on the encryption, and perhaps even tie the wireless card to the router with MAC address control list.

Dave

David Klug
08-14-2003, 11:56 PM
ZoneAlarm is one of the best software-based
firewalls available. The Pro version is even better. Be aware that Pro's "pop-up" blocking can make some sites not work, such as WOOD ONLINE!

But do consider a hardware firewall. Most also include what you need to network multiple machines to the same connection, too, which is great when you have multiple people who enjoy using the Internet (or have both a work machine and a personal machine that you want to use the access).

Jim are you refering to the magazine? I get e-mails from them all the time and I haven't had any problem going to their site.I've had ZA pro for about a month because I just hooked up to cable and I wanted a little more protection, when I checked it out on a security site, it said that I was completely hidden. It was like I wasn't on the internet. So far I'm really happy with it.

Dave

Jim Becker
08-15-2003, 9:24 AM
Jim are you refering to the magazine? I get e-mails from them all the time and I haven't had any problem going to their site.I've had ZA pro for about a month because I just hooked up to cable and I wanted a little more protection, when I checked it out on a security site, it said that I was completely hidden. It was like I wasn't on the internet. So far I'm really happy with it.

Dave

WOOD ONLINE is the online presence of WOOD Magazine. The current forum software they use requires that pop-ups and JAVA/scripting be avialable with your browser in order for you to read replies to posts and to make your own posts. (As well as login to the system) The pop-up stopper in ZoneAlarm Pro does interfere with that site as well as some others out there. (The firewall is NOT a problem, just that little "add-on" feature)

This is just one example of when a "fix" to a perceived problem affects operation of a particular site. Changes/enhancements in standards also affect things like this. My own web site uses some technology (CSS) that is not supported by older browsers, such as Netscape 4.x.

I'll reieterate, that ZoneAlarm is a most excellent product; both the free ZoneAlarm software and the better ZoneAlarm Pro with a reasonable cost. (I use the latter) And yes, your computer will be "invisble" to the world, relatively speaking, when you use it. What I like best about ZA is the fact that it monitors not only stuff coming in, but stuff trying to get out. You will be surprised about how many applications and utilities you use want/need to access the Internet...as do Trojans, etc. But a hardware firewall for cable modem or DSL users is also highly recommended to further protect you. There is no harm in more than one firewall when they are complimentary.

Dan McLaughlin
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM
When we were using ZA, we had similar problems to the one described by Jim, although it was prior to my adventures in woodworking (hence not with WoodOnline). MSNBC did not like the version of ZA Pro that we were using at the time. It killed the java based menu and some of the graphics but not all. Not a primary reason to leave ZA Pro but when the need for a multi-port router (8 port) became apparent, we opted for a hardware firewall with 8 ports. After two months of running with both ZA Pro and the firewall, we disabled ZA Pro to reduce system overhead on our PCs with no apparent degradation in protection. To check on your PC's "visibility" to the outside world, do a Google search on "shields up". It should be the first hit (I believe it is grc.com). Go to that site and run their program. It's free and will tell you how visible and vulnerable your PC is. For those with cable and DSL modems, run the IP Agent program from the site and then their Shields Up program.

Jim Becker
08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
After two months of running with both ZA Pro and the firewall, we disabled ZA Pro to reduce system overhead on our PCs with no apparent degradation in protection. To check on your PC's "visibility" to the outside world, do a Google search on "shields up". It should be the first hit (I believe it is grc.com). Go to that site and run their program.

Yes, the hardware firewall will protect you from most incoming threats and will make you "invisible". However, it will NOT protect you from outgoing threats, such as trojans, scumware and other privacy issues originating on your own PC from software you loaded...voluntarily or involuntarily. That's where products like ZoneAlarm protect you over and above the hardware firewall. ZA and similar products don't add so much overhead to your machine (assuming you have something relatively current) as to drastically affect performance in most cases.