PDA

View Full Version : Record Vise Problems

Tom Gattiker
09-01-2003, 10:12 AM
My record vise keeps sticking. I only seem to have the problem when I have it tightened (ie, with something in it). Then I cannot loosen it, but I can tighten it down more. Both the quick release lever and the screw don't work. When I turn the screw, the strip that connects the quick release lever on the vice face to the area underneath the vice "snaps" up and down. I know that the vice is not the most mechanically sophisticated piece of equip in the world, but I cannot figure out the problem. Any advice?

One thing I have not tried is lubrication because I hate having oil and grease around my wood projects. So I guess this raises the question, how do you lube your vice? What do you use?

Thanks

Todd Burch
09-01-2003, 2:07 PM
Sounds like something is broken. I use parrafin wax, if-n-when it ever needs it.

Lynn Sonier
09-01-2003, 4:51 PM
I use the heck out of LPS spray greaseless lubricant. It dries dry but slippery.

James Hardee
03-16-2014, 3:06 PM
I'm having the identical problem that you had. Did you ever find a solution? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks

Loren Woirhaye
03-16-2014, 5:10 PM
I have a Record vise and it goes into that mode easily. The trick is to keep it well lubricated. I use paste wax. You'll want to wire brush the sliding rods before waxing them. Check the end-stop on the far end of the screw. It can rotate off the ends of the rods and cause problems and will tend to loosen over time due to wear on the cotter pin that keeps it in place. This bugged me for years and I finally thicknessed a piece of wood precisely and attached it under the bench to prevent the end-stop from rotating.

Brad Patch
03-16-2014, 8:50 PM
I have a Record vise and it goes into that mode easily. The trick is to keep it well lubricated. I use paste wax. You'll want to wire brush the sliding rods before waxing them.

Bingo! loren is correct. The sliding rods collect all manner of foreign material and begin to stick. Clean the crud off with a brass brush and polish rods with some fine sand paper, then paste wax.