PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help here.

Charlie Mastro
05-25-2006, 2:24 PM
I know this is a newbie question but I'm about to turn some table legs in soft fir and was wondering about lathe speed? What speed would you recommend I turn at and any other hints about turning very soft wood.:confused:

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 2:32 PM
Charlie, What diameter are the legs ?
That said, I'd probubly start em out slow say 500 RPM until they get round then I'd crank up the speed to say 1200 or so.

Charlie Mastro
05-25-2006, 2:40 PM
Charlie, What diameter are the legs ?
That said, I'd probubly start em out slow say 500 RPM until they get round then I'd crank up the speed to say 1200 or so.

Forgot to mention the legs are 5" square and the turned part is about 3 inches and then they taper down square.

Tyler Howell
05-25-2006, 2:47 PM
Charlie,
Can't help you with this problem but I think you are living my dream.
Still sailing??
Joseph looks like a beautiful area

Charlie Mastro
05-25-2006, 3:27 PM
Charlie,
Can't help you with this problem but I think you are living my dream.
Still sailing??
Joseph looks like a beaautiful area

Tyler,

No I haven't been sailing in over 7 or 8 years. Owned a 29 ft. sloop for 12 years with my two partners and then leased a friend's boat for a few years after that to go up to the San Juans. There is Wallowa Lake here and I may still get a chance to go out here.

It truly is beautiful here and I am very grateful to be here.:) I'm guessing you must have seen my web site or you wouldn't know I was a sailor?

Tyler Howell
05-25-2006, 3:42 PM
Always snooping for Web sites Charlie.
Looks like a great shop and a great inspiration for WW 1st thing in the morning.
Sailed the San Juans about 9 years ago.
Going to be up in Desolation Sound in August for two weeks.:D
Thanks for sharing