PDA

View Full Version : island cabinet question

Bob Cooper
05-26-2006, 4:13 PM
I've got a friend who has asked me to help him build an island cabinet. He wants to have a dishwasher on one end of the island (left side). I'm not sure how to handle this. In the set of cabinets i've built, i had cabinets on both sides...so essentially i just had a hole there. In this case i'm not sure what's going to support the plywood (or panel) on the left side of the dishwasher.

Can this be done?

Bob Childress
05-26-2006, 4:53 PM
Bob,

Hi, another South Carolina Bob here. :D When you say the "end" of the island, do you mean facing out from the very end, or facing front but placed on one end. If the latter, you will still have a cabinet enclosure down both sides for support. To the right of the DW will be your cabinet carcasse, to the left of it, a support panel that lets the countertop bridge the DW. Just think of building a desk with a drawer on one end and open on the other. You'd still support the top with legs or a side panel.

If it is actually facing out the end, you'll have some watsed space on each side because you'll have to shore it up with some support.

I'm redoing my own kitchen cabinets right now so I'm pretty much in cabinet plan mode all the time. A drawing of what you want might help.:)

Bob Cooper
05-26-2006, 6:31 PM
Bob

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the latter. I guess i'm having a little trouble thinking about what's supporting that panel on the left hand side. Without the top on, the only thing there would be a panel with plywood back stretching all the way across the entire island. Seems really flimsy. Even once i put a top on it, it seems like it's only supported by the top and back.

I've got a sketch they faxed me. Maybe i can take a picture of it when i get home and post it.

BTW, i took the morning off of work to go see some wood up in the upstate. In Ware Sholes (sp?) SC near Clinton/Laurens. Very nice selection of hardwoods and exitocs if you ever need any.

Bob C

Craig Feuerzeig
05-26-2006, 6:53 PM
You need an end panel to cover the side of the dishwasher as well as support the countertop. If you anchor the panel to the floor and the countertop it will be strong. The panel could be just 3/4", but if you can spare the space, add a small return to hide an L-bracket behind.

If you want to get fancy, notch the panel like the toe kick on the cabinets.

Beware of radiant heat flooring, before drilling into the floor.:eek:

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 8:10 PM
An example I did 3-4 years ago. L-shaped sink that came away from the wall, out into the room.
This was an extra deep cabinet, as She wanted a 36" wide counter top. So don't look at the extension stuff on the rear of the sink base.
You need to use 3/4 ply on your back for support.