PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Dds -25 Or Performax 22-44

steve cossey
05-28-2006, 8:52 AM
I Am New To Cabinet Building I Mainly Do Kitchen Remodeling And Had To Start Building My Own Cabinets. I Think I Need A Drum Sander Of Some Sort And Was Set On Buying An Performax 22-44 When I Saw The Ad For The Dds-25. What Are The Pros And Cons Of Each And Do I Need One For Building Cabinets.

Matt Tawes
05-28-2006, 9:16 AM
Hey Steve,

I find that a drum sander is very useful in doing cabinet work especially for sanding face frames & doors. I've had a Performax 22-44 for about 3yrs. and while it's a nice tool and does the job the Powermatic looks to be a better choice since it's a dual drum and higher HP. However if I had it to do over and had the $$ a widebelt sander vs. a drum would be my choice.
Keeep in mind that you will still need to finish sand using a ROS to remove the marks left from the drum sander.

CPeter James
05-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Take a look at the General dual drum sander. I have the Performax 25x2 and if I were to do it again, I think that i would get the General

CPeter

http://www.tools-plus.com/g-i15-250m1.html

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-28-2006, 10:49 AM
My theory on sanders is that double drums are best and bigger is way better than smaller. I'd rather have a lunch box planer and a 48" dd sander than a 24" open sided sander and a 15" planer.

The nice thing about an open sided sander is that you can sand a piece twise the size of the drum width.
The thing I don't like about 'em is that they are supported on one end however well. That means that no matter what you do there will always be deflection.

The nice thing about a sander supported at each end of the drum is you get substantially less deflection.

Whether this matters to you is more a function of what you plan on doing with it and how much you care about the deflection.

For stringed musical instrument work you'll want to thickness sand stock down after edge gluing it to get material that's about 1/8" thick or even less . Deflection is your enemy in that event.

If you are going to do large table tops, pianos, and other large flat surface area pieces you will likely have the same issues with deflection but for slightly different reasons.

You need to decide where your future will lead and buy the tool that will take you there. It's that or plan on purchasing another down the road.

Mike Hollingsworth
05-28-2006, 11:58 AM
drum or wide belt, oscillation is the key.
I had a performax sander, that stand took as much room in my shop as my car. Between these two, go for the General. Smaller footprint

mike

Mike Cutler
05-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Steve.

First off, welcome to Sawmill Creek. Please'd to meet ya'.

When you stated that you mainly do kitchen remodeling, is this as a business? or is it a one time event?
If it is a business, or a side business. I would vote for a DD(dual drum) sander, or as Matt stated, a wide belt sander. The time savings will easily the justify the price.
I have the Performax 16-32 open sided sander, and while it is a nice sander, it does deflect somewhat, and the material has to be alternated to minimize this deflection. It is also slow. It takes a lot of " Lite passes" to perform properly. I've personally never been able to sand anything wider than the sander, so the open end feature is somewhat lost on me.
I really like it for smaller stuff, and I am in no real hurry, so it fits my needs. If a really good deal on a 24" or larger DD sander comes my way though. I'm jumping on it.;)

Once again. Pleased to meet ya', and welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Tyler Howell
05-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Welcome
I have the Performax 22x44
Great for the Hobbiest.... but if I were a pro I go with The Gold Standard PM.

Bruce Page
05-28-2006, 4:06 PM
The Powermatic looks interesting but the prices are all over the map! Amazon lists it at $1350, Southern Tool at $2700 and WW Supply at $2400!