PDA

View Full Version : Give it to me straight..............

Travis Stinson
08-08-2006, 7:28 AM
I've been sitting on this gem since late April. Turned from dunnowood, and finished with a top secret finish that gives it an incredible texture. So, give it to me straight. I can take it............
Everyone that replies, be sure to be as brutally honest as you possibly can. Matter of fact, only point out the flaws................:rolleyes:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/WOWbowl1.jpg

Dave Wimmer
08-08-2006, 7:41 AM
Tinfoil???

Christopher K. Hartley
08-08-2006, 7:43 AM
Rough Metal Spinning? Wrinkle Paint? Tin Foil? I got it I think, Aluminum Burl?:eek: Andy is going to have a tough time licking the last bit of ice cream out of that bowl. :D

Sparky Paessler
08-08-2006, 7:54 AM
Hey Travis if you turn that over and wear it on your head it will keep out all the Alien radio waves.:eek: :rolleyes: :D :D

Raymond Overman
08-08-2006, 7:56 AM
Well Travis, I've got to say, I love it. I think the texturing on this is outstanding and the finish is incredible. It looks very durable. You did an outstanding job. One of your best yet!

I'd like to see a shot of the bottom to see how you signed it and finished it off. I hope this is the start of a series Travis because this rocks!

Mark Cothren
08-08-2006, 8:07 AM
ATTABOY!

"Aluminum burl"....:D Sounds like a BINGO to me!!!

Tyler Howell
08-08-2006, 8:21 AM
I knew I should have fought the abyss harder:( .
This is a very unique group:eek: :D

Chris Barton
08-08-2006, 8:25 AM
I don't think you got the bark off this one dude.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-08-2006, 8:42 AM
Wow, I like it, but I would not put icecream in it, but fill it with hot buttered popcorn!! :D

Truly, Travis is a master!! :D

Keith Burns
08-08-2006, 8:45 AM
Ditto what Raymond said. This piece of art is one of the very best I've seen. Great work:) :) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2006, 8:48 AM
Have you thought about checking the bearings in your lathe?:confused:

Andy I'll bet this one was done with one of those "yellar" lathes.......Not a Mayo or a mini-Mayo!:D

Andy Hoyt
08-08-2006, 8:55 AM
I've heard of Cracklin' Rose, crackled paint, and spin crack.

But I have never, until now, heard of crackled foil.

Please please Travis. Fill us in on every part of the finishing process.

I love it!

But....................

It does appear to have a slight list to starboard. Did you have mounting issues?

Travis White
08-08-2006, 9:29 AM
Wow! How did you do it? It's beautiful! Someday I want to achieve your level of craftsmanship. You are a master.

Steve Clardy
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking the spin crack has spilled out of the container here:eek:

Cleanup in aisle 6 please:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Travis you been sniffing the exotics, spin crack or drinking to much moxie.:eek: :eek: :D :D
Other than that how'd you do it. Inquiring minds want to know. :confused: :confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Well let's see. Hurts my eyes...............the finish could be a little more subdued unless you're trying to have aliens visit.

The rim seems to be a little rough, but you could have been looking for a Rustic look.

The texturing really hides your fantasticly smooth tooling. OOPS, that was positive!

Seems to float, so I believe that it has a foot, but can't see it.

It's soooooooooooo thick sided that you must be expecting it to hold a lot of ice cream.

Hope this "Floats your Boat"

Bruce

Joe Tonich
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Attaboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not just anyone can spin out an 'Anti-Alien-Mind-Probe'.....:D :cool:

GREAT finish on there! The only thing I can say, based on everyones edjumicated critiques of my work, is it's in 'one-size-fits-all' and not adjustable. Please fix that on the next try, please.

Mike Ramsey
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Travis, This piece looks a bit Clunky IMHO...Next time for a piece like
this I would go with WD-40 for a low gloss finish.....

Jim Underwood
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow, I like it, but I would not put icecream in it, but fill it with hot buttered popcorn!! :D

Better yet, microwave it first!:p

Vaughn McMillan
08-08-2006, 3:47 PM
Great form, and that's some mighty impressive aluminum burl, but it looks like you had a lot of chatter from your roughing gouge -- or maybe you ran out of sandpaper. And I've gotta disagree with the WD-40 finishing suggestion. I think it'd look better with a nice 10W40 gloss finish IMHO. Of course, it might already be glossy, and it's just that your photograph is sub-par. It's always so hard to tell with you amateur guys.

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
08-08-2006, 3:52 PM
Ok, brutally honest.....what the hell is it? It looks kinda neato and the fact that you turned it is......................fascinating(?) but I have no idea what it is.

Tom Sherman
08-08-2006, 5:05 PM
Travis I believe your nibbling pin has fallen out of your wobbling shaft, and quite possibly the muffler bearing has siezed up and there was one other thing.........oh yeah your differential is different. Other than that I like it.

Dennis Peacock
08-08-2006, 5:07 PM
Oooohhh....I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta git me one of dem-dar Aluminum Burls!!!!! Beautiful form and finish Travis. :D

Don Baer
08-08-2006, 5:16 PM
Travis - Once again you have outdone yourself..And I don't think it looks at all clunkey.

Andy Hoyt
08-08-2006, 8:00 PM
Travis - I've been away all afternoon and during idle time (from 1PM to 7:30PM) I devoted all of my energies towards this piece. You've certainly got something with extreme marketability and am fervently requesting that you put it up for sale on fleabay. Let the bidding war begin!

Dick Parr
08-08-2006, 8:09 PM
Atta Boy Travis, that is why you are my hero.:D Looks like a dinner plate for my favorite Martian.:eek:

Bill O'Conner
08-08-2006, 8:53 PM
I thought maybe the kanutzon valve was stuck, if it was a desiel I'd have to say the jake brake pads were going bad

Curt Fuller
08-08-2006, 9:40 PM
Fine looking piece of Alcoa Burl! Almost looks like aluminuminuminuminumi..whatever.

Barry Stratton
08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
What I like best about this piece is that for the first time (and probably the last) I think I can get a finish on a bowl to look like a Stinson piece!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2006, 11:38 PM
What I like best about this piece is that for the first time (and probably the last) I think I can get a finish on a bowl to look like a Stinson piece!!!

This is Ken in Idaho.........looking down.........thinking...Why didn't I think of that?:confused:

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 12:59 AM
This is Ken in Idaho.........looking down.........thinking...Why didn't I think of that?:confused:

Hey Ken,

Sometimes, ya just gotta think outside the "finish". :p :D

Barry Stratton
08-09-2006, 1:18 AM
Hey Ken,

Sometimes, ya just gotta think outside the "finish". :p :D

Sounds plausible. I was thinking more on the lines of "senior moment":eek:

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2006, 1:27 AM

ROFL Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I very closely resemble that remark!!!!!!;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 1:28 AM

Those senior moments are starting to add up to hours these days!:o

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 1:43 AM
Those senior moments are starting to add up to hours these days!:oYeah, but if you smush them all together, it only counts as one...one very long one, but just one. :p

Jack Ferrell
08-09-2006, 4:42 AM
I've seem a similar design as that before, except with a wire handle. Oh yeah, Jiffy Pop.

Michael Stafford
08-09-2006, 6:38 AM
How long will the bowl be kept fresh with that finish?

What grade of aluminum burl do you start with?

How much ice cream can it hold?

Do you have the process patented?

Is it legal for people in Idaho to do this?

Was Mrs. Stinson upset when she ran out of foil to line the broiler pan?

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 9:16 AM
Ya'all can make all the fun you want to of this piece but it is , after all a "Stinson" and that carries a certain value. What that value is, I don't know yet. In a discussion I had with Travis recently concerning the artistic direction in which he was heading I was able to pull a little information from him concerning some upcoming pieces he has planned. I'm hesitant to divulge to much information but I'll give a hint.....Glitter, both red and green. That's all I can tell you at this point.:D

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 9:18 AM
Glitter, both red and green. That's all I can tell you at this point.:D

Okay, that made me laugh... I'll just throw out a DDD to Travis on the use of some glitter.

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 9:22 AM
Atta Boy, Mark - go git him.

08-09-2006, 9:23 AM
Okay, that made me laugh... I'll just throw out a DDD to Travis on the use of some glitter.

....."DDD"...........:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 9:25 AM
Of course Travis............We'll need an article on this and we'll have to make it a permanent sticky and required reading for all new turners!

Question?....Does box elder count as an exotic?:confused: :eek: :D

Mark Singer
08-09-2006, 9:53 AM
Aluminum skull cap or Kippot for praying in a high tech synagogue:confused:

http://www.zionjudaica.com/productimages/L07.jpg

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 9:55 AM

Naturally Stu, that would be a Double Dog Dare....;)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2006, 9:55 AM

Do you think he might have meant "DDT"?:confused:

08-09-2006, 9:58 AM
Naturally Stu, that would be a Double Dog Dare....;)

....Domo.... :)

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
....Domo.... :)

What did he call me? :eek: ;)

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
He said "Thanks"

Hey Stu - Don't touch my mustache!

08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
He said "Thanks"

Hey Stu - Don't touch my mustache!

......Arigato..... :)

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
kazaimus, hai!

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
He said "Thanks"

I need everyone to sit down and grab ahold of something solid... this redheaded Arky actually knew what that meant...:D

08-09-2006, 11:49 AM
kazaimus, hai!

Close, you missed just a touch, it would would be "GOzaimasu"

"Domo arigato gozaimasu"

Would be "Thank you very much" in the most polite form

Domo is thanks

Arigato is Thank you................

There will be a test next week :D

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Say what !?!? I ain't takin' no stinkin' test :D :D

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey Stu, what Andy really needs to know is how you say "Would you please pass me the grits?"...........:D

08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey Stu, what Andy really needs to know is how you say "Would you please pass me the grits?"...........:D

Aw that is easy..........

"Gu-ritzu kudasai!" :D

Michael Stafford
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I thought it was gu-ritzu hasem exlax....

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 1:11 PM
Aw that is easy..........

"Gu-ritzu kudasai!" :D Ahem! The TOS here has rules about profanity, regardless of how it's disguised.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 1:48 PM
The TOS here has rules about profanity...I don't think they're being enforced: the moderators keep allowing the use of the word "grits". :eek:

08-09-2006, 1:58 PM
Heck, I don't even know what "Grits" are.......... :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 2:25 PM
Stu - grits are some kinda southern bioengineered vegetable matter that is predominantly used by southerners to smooth stuff. They glue it to a piece of paper and rub this against the wood. Once all the grittiness has been worn away, the paper is dumped into a pot of water and boiled for an hour or twelve. The resultant mush is spread out on local roads on hot days and the combined effect of the tires and sun creates a dry pulverized appearance that is then glued to a piece of paper and rubbed against the wood. Once all the grittiness has been worn away, the paper is dumped into a pot of water and boiled for an hour or twelve. The resultant mush is spread out on local roads on hot days and the combined effect of the tires and sun creates a dry pulverized appearance that is then glued to a piece of paper and rubbed against the wood. Once all the grittiness has been worn away, the paper is dumped into a pot of water and boiled for an hour or twelve. The resultant mush is spread out on local roads on hot days and the combined effect of the tires and sun creates a dry pulverized appearance that is then glued to a piece of paper and rubbed against the wood. Once all the grittiness has been worn away, the paper is dumped into a pot of water and boiled for an hour or twelve. The resultant mush is spread out on local roads on hot days and the combined effect of the tires and sun creates a dry pulverized appearance that is then glued to a piece of paper and rubbed against the wood. Once all the grittiness has been worn away, the paper is dumped into a pot of water and boiled for an hour or twelve. The resultant mush is spread out on local roads on hot days and the combined effect of the tires and sun creates a dry pulverized appearance that is then powdered onto possum guts and eaten.

Michael Stafford
08-09-2006, 2:33 PM
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!

Andy, you forgot the fact that grits are the main carrier for the salt and butter or redeye gravy.....

I can tell you will not be ordering grits any time soon.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 2:36 PM
Stu - grits are some kinda southern bioengineered vegetable matter..."Southern" - mostly
"bioengineered" - unlikely: requires advanced cognitive activity
"vegetable" - possible but unconfirmed

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 2:38 PM
Heck, I don't even know what "Grits" are.......... :rolleyes:Andy's description, while disgustingly accurate, was needlessly verbose.

Two words: "redneck poi". :eek:

Barry Stratton
08-09-2006, 2:42 PM
Andy's description, while disgustingly accurate, was needlessly verbose.

Two words: "redneck poi". :eek:

I must disagree brother DeRaud and Mr. MOA.

Grits are the finest breakfast food around!

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 2:50 PM
Andy, you are not far from being right. I've always been told they were a mixture of rice hulls and cotton bolls and corn husks that were choped up and mixed together , then boiled in water. Typically served hot. Most favorite topping is either butter or maple syrup which is the only thing that adds flavor. Another widely unknown use for grits is as a siding for houses commonly called stucco.

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 3:02 PM
I stand corrected.

But gee whizercles! Et tu Barrius?

Forrest Price
08-09-2006, 3:04 PM
OK, after reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that Y'all been sniffing too many fumes lately!

Go on outside and breath in some good ol fresh air (if you have any in your parts).

I can't imagine that the Moxie influence has spread so far, so it must be finishing fumes. Come on people, ever hear of ventilation?!:D

This is Forrest....in Idaho...head down..(over bottle of CA glue :eek: )

Grits...sheesh...everyone knows grits don't exist! Probably serve em with snipes or jackalopes....:rolleyes:

Raymond Overman
08-09-2006, 3:09 PM
I must say that the recent comments regarding grits being disgusting is creating a hostile environment and I am opposed to it. I feel that I am being persecuted because of my choice in foods and I will not stand for it. I personally am quite fond of grits (both the breakfast staple and Girls Raised In The South) and feel that any further negative comments will be met with a sharp stick appropriately applied by poking.

Proper preparation with butter, and salt with a side of cured (country) ham, two eggs, and toast is a breakfast fit for a King. Cream, tasso ham, and shrimp is mighty fine eating too.

What I don't get is that mush mouth cream-o-wheat stuff.

To keep this on topic, I would not suggest cooking grits in the bowl posted by Travis. It would be dificult to clean with all of the texturing he did on it.

Barry Stratton
08-09-2006, 3:26 PM
Proper preparation with butter, and salt with a side of cured (country) ham, two eggs, and toast is a breakfast fit for a King.

To keep this on topic, I would not suggest cooking grits in the bowl posted by Travis. It would be dificult to clean with all of the texturing he did on it.

What time do you eat breakfast so I know when to be there?????

And I believe you could serve it in Travis's bowl, it looks pretty washable.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 3:28 PM
To keep this on topic, I would not suggest cooking grits in the bowl posted by Travis. It would be dificult to clean with all of the texturing he did on it.Actually, that's how he did the texturing. :cool:

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 3:31 PM
Proper preparation with butter, and salt with a side of cured (country) ham, two eggs, and toast is a breakfast fit for a King.Gives the phrase "sticks to your ribs" a whole new meaning. :eek:

Another widely unknown use for grits is as a siding for houses commonly called stucco.Like I said. :cool:

Mark Cothren
08-09-2006, 4:09 PM
Raymond has just scored a BINGO!!!! All you pretenders need to get right with God and belly up to a big ol' bowl full.

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 4:10 PM
Somehow this thread has gotten off course. It has gone from Travis the Tin Man's work of art on to food (or at least what some people call food). I have been guilty as well in this steering problem. Might I suggest we get back on tract and discuss Travis the Glitter Boy's upcoming series of fine turning art.

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 4:19 PM
All you pretenders need to get right with God and belly up to a big ol' bowl full.Sounds more like a good way to meet Him in person. :p

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2006, 4:21 PM
Grits...sheesh...everyone knows grits don't exist! Probably serve em with snipes or jackalopes....:rolleyes:Hmmm...barbequed jackalope...

Michael Stafford
08-09-2006, 4:22 PM
Stick 'em Raymond, stick 'em, starting with that troublemaker from Collierville...I'm gonna go cut a switch.

And Mr. Burns, Mr. Stinson might not take kindly to being referred to as "Travis the Tin Man" and "Travis the Glitter Boy". He might decide to poke you with a sharp stick also.....:p As I recall he once took a wild boar hog "Mano a Mano" so he ain't gonna be impressed with no skinny Cream of Wheat eater from Collierville.

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2006, 4:28 PM
Keith - I've been googling grits all day.

While I did learn that, "all that glitters is aint grits" from a site in Mississippi.

Ah oilso learnt mi dat, "Spam whut glitters taint gold" frum a uinderweb paig in Arkisore.

Ah needs 2b kep outer dem arkisore spotz. Cuz is ahfectionatin mah spellerin squilz.

tod evans
08-09-2006, 4:56 PM
Ah needs 2b kep outer dem arkisore spotz. Cuz is ahfectionatin mah spellerin squilz.

careful andy, afore long your sis will start lookin` good

Keith Burns
08-09-2006, 5:21 PM
Big Mike, I really don't think Travis the Tin Man or Travis the Glitter Boy (as he will soon become known across this great land) will be upset, after all, he is the one that started this mess. The only thing he might be upset about is me letting the cat out of the bag about his upcoming series of Glitter Bowls:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
So....How about it Travis?.......You gonna give up the secret to this new large flake crinkle finish of yours?:confused:

Rob Bourgeois
08-11-2006, 11:47 PM
So....How about it Travis?.......You gonna give up the secret to this new large flake crinkle finish of yours?:confused:
:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
08-12-2006, 1:00 AM
I got two words for ya Ken.............. REYNOLDS WRAP :D

Robert Mickley
08-12-2006, 5:58 AM
As Raymond so kindly pointed out there is two kinds of grits.

One is eye candy
the other is hog food.
Then again so is cream of wheat.

Of course if you want some good eating theres always scrapple or liver pudding. Don't ask you don't want to know whats in it.

Now what I really want is details on the is wrinkled bowl

john taliaferro
04-09-2008, 2:51 PM
i here he got 6500 for it and was going to get a new one way

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 3:27 PM
......Arigato..... :)

Why do I have Mr. Roboto in my head???

robert hainstock
04-09-2008, 5:00 PM
As Arty Johnson used to say, "wery int-teresting.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Paul Engle
04-09-2008, 5:16 PM
shore nuf, pilot brg got pressed on a pitot shaft and the the starboard muff coupling got put on where the port wine luff coupling normaly is, then it could be the strut bearing shimmer got caught in the rope guard and pealed off the Waukesha stern tube harbor seals. hmmm .... yep, any more tin foil and she'll sink. Nice work Travis.;) :D

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 6:47 PM
As Arty Johnson used to say, "wery int-teresting.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Roboto

Bill Wyko
04-09-2008, 7:09 PM
Hey Travis if you turn that over and wear it on your head it will keep out all the Alien radio waves.:eek: :rolleyes: :D :D
That's exactly what I was going to say.

George Guadiane
04-09-2008, 7:22 PM
I don't think so!!!

Eugene Malone
04-09-2008, 7:55 PM
I made one of those once, and if we ever get another microwave I'll make another. But this time I'll put some clingfoil around it as well.I may put a few more sandbags on the micro if it goes wrong again it may save me from painting the Kitchen again. I kind of like that stippled effect.Her indoors said wait until she gets the stiches out and she will help with the sandbags,I said I'd ask one of the neighbours but she said they were all left,
Trevis how did you find yours again, was it luck or had you microchiped it .I'll not give up until the Fat Lady Sings, Regards and best wishes ,Eugene.

Dan Oliphant
04-09-2008, 9:34 PM
You all do realize this is a two year old post??????

Russ Peters
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I guess the aliens finally returned 2 years later

Jon Lanier
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Now that is saving money! Turn your own Satellite Dish.... so... just what kind of reception does it get?

robert hainstock
04-10-2008, 9:54 AM
You need to share with us how you got that incredible varigated rim detail.;););)
Bob

Eugene Malone
04-10-2008, 4:01 PM
To all, No Lads I did not realise it was posted two years ago.This shagin yoke does not give me a root in the ass when I make a bobo.This is where I miss the hands on effect of my generation wher I would get a clip on the ear and be told to wake up.
Isee a few of you guys are up a bit late reading the posts,I bet if you hadent got the computer you would head for the workshop and try out my system just to see is it better than Travis's. Sorry if I awoke sore memorerys for you I promise I will check dates in future.
By the way I own a Scheppach 1hp 1200mm lathe and in the past six months i've got a new lease of life thanks to it. I am going to get a camera and learn how to post pictures, the tripod with the cloth cover dosent work for some reason, so watch this space or some other one and see what a real learner can mess up. If i'm being a pain in the a-se let me know it wont make a blind bit of difference. LOVE this site have learned so much thanks for having me Regards Eugene Malone Slan Leat.