PDA

View Full Version : Question aboiut Hartville Tool router plate

Roald Euller
09-18-2006, 9:50 AM
I recently purchase a router plate from Hartville Tool. When it arrived, I saw that there were tiny nibs around the outside edge, 2 on each side for a total of eight. They stick out about 1/16 of an inch. According to the package, they are intended "to keep the router plate from shifting".

My question is, when routing the cutout for the plate, do I dimension the hole for the overall size of the plate, including the nibs? Or do I make a slightly smaller hole, less the nibs? If the former, doesn't this leave a gap around the edge of the plate equal to the depth of the nibs which will collect sawdust and potentially snag a piece of wood? And if I make the smaller opening, do I just force the nibs into wood of the table?

Another option is to just file the nibs off.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks!

Roald Euller
09-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Well, I sent an email to Hartville Tool, and to their credit, they promptly responded with the following advice:

"You rout to the plate size, not including the nibs. Those are designed to dig into the edge slightly to prevent...shifting. It should not leave a gap. If your router top surface has been laminated we recommend chamfering the edge of the opening slightly so the nibs do not lift or chip the laminate"

So I guess that answers my question!