PDA

View Full Version : Electrical plug wiring question, please help ASAP!

Matt Day
12-08-2006, 7:03 PM
I'm going to wire both my RAS and TS as 220v, with NEMA 6 plugs. My RAS says at least a 15A plug, so I'll use a 6-15P. My Delta Hybrid saw doesn't specify, but probably use a 6-20P to be safe. But which color wires go to which color plug terminals??? I've search the web for hours and can't seem to find anything on 220 (250v, whatever) only standard 110 stuff.

For instance, the cord from my RAS has a green (ground) and a black and white. The plug has a Green scew with a Silver plate, a Brass screw with a Red plate, and a Brass screw with a Brass plate. I'm quite certain the green screw goes to the green wire, but I'm not sure about the others.

Please help! Thanks

Jack Hutchinson
12-08-2006, 7:19 PM
green to green, that's ground. Other two either way, they're both hot in a 220 circuit.

Hoa Dinh
12-08-2006, 7:19 PM
For 240V (or 220V, or 230V, whatever...), the two hot legs are interchangeable.

So, in your case, green to green, black to silver, white to red. Or green to green, black to red, white to silver.

Oh, give the end of the white wire a layer of black electrical tape to indicate that it is actually hot, not neutral.

Jim O'Dell
12-08-2006, 7:23 PM
Matt, are the wires already wired 220 at the motor end? If not, do that first, then proceed to the plugs. I'd personally want to see the wiring schematic for each of the motors to make sure I was wiring them properly. One terminal on the plug is ground. The plug schematic will tell you, but should be the green terminal. Then the other 2 terminals are the 2 hots for 220 volt. But the motor has to be wired 220 or you may hit the right combination that lets the magical smoke out. :eek: :eek: Not a good thing. Jim.

Larry James
12-08-2006, 7:44 PM
Matt,

Ditto to above posts.

Follow Jim O'Dell's advise. If you do not have manual for your saw go to Delta web site and download Manual.

This may not be exact model but you can start here.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5850

Larry

Matt Day
12-08-2006, 9:20 PM
Great! Thanks a lot for the quick response guys. I thought the two were interchangeable based on the wiring schematics I found on Coopers website, I just wanted some confirmation from the real world. I should have my RAS and TS running tomorrow!

Oh yeah, I do have the wiring schematic for the RAS to change from 110 to 220 and the Delta motor should say on the mort if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks SMC!