PDA

View Full Version : The Slippery Slope!

Clint Jones
12-19-2006, 4:56 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for their response on honing guides I posted a few weeks ago it really helped out a lot. I decieded to go the cheap route and purchased the one for $11.99 from woodcraft. I thought I was getting blades sharp before but now they are razor sharp. I use diamond stones to get my initial bevel and then to the 1000 water stone and finally polish it with the 6000 waterstone. I found the internet (especially all you guys here at Sawmill Creek) a wealth of knowledge. My first shavings were the hairs on my wrist! I thought I was on the slippery slope when I started collecting old tools but now that I have started using the tools I have collected I have really started the plunge. I started sharpening all my old planes even the ones I dont think I will use like my No.1 . The first one I got sharp was my 4 1/2C which I am currently using on my first project (my workbench). I will post pictures of the finished project and some nice shavings I took with the 4 1/2 in the near future. Until then I though you might enjoy a picture of the 4 1/2c and No.1 I am speaking of! Again thank you all for the advice!:D 52955

Tyler Howell
12-19-2006, 5:45 PM
Welcome Clint,
To an old and very honerable club.

Hank Knight
12-19-2006, 5:50 PM
You're toast! Enjoy the slide and welcome to the slope.

Hank

Gerry Musson
12-19-2006, 6:41 PM
Quick ,save yourself, send me that #1 before the disease takes a firm hold on you.

Gary Herrmann
12-19-2006, 7:07 PM
You have a #1. I've never even seen one in person. What have you used it for in the past? I kinda doubt I'd even find a #3 comfortable to use, but we'll see someday.

Clint Jones
12-19-2006, 7:17 PM
I started collecting old tools before I started woodworking. In the past I have only used power tools I have just started WW using primarily hand tools. I dont think I would ever really need to use the No.1 I just was going crazy sharpening all my planes and I figured that it couldnt hurt to put a nice sharp edge on its little blade. I did however take to a piece of scrap wood in the shop with the little thing and it worked quite well. I could only fit two fingers around the tote so I just used it like a block plane of sort palming the whole thing using my fingers on the knob. Its so small it can fit in the palm of your hand!!

Chuck Nickerson
12-19-2006, 8:04 PM
When I turn it around in my hand it fits perfectly to be pulled, not pushed. So when grain direction reverses and I can't easily move myself or the work, the #1 is my plane of choice.

Charles McKinley
12-24-2006, 1:52 PM
There is an article in one of the recent Popular WW or Fine WW on the uses and reasons for the #1.