PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16-32 vs. Delta 18-36

Afrim Hoxha
11-11-2003, 5:58 PM
I am looking to pick up one of these machines but am having difficulty choosing. I would appreiciate any input from owners of either machine. Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-11-2003, 6:07 PM
Afrim, I've seem many more positive posts on the Performax over the years than on the Delta. That's not saying the Delta is bad, just that there seems to be (unscientifically) a higher degree of satisfaction with the Performax machines. When my local dealer was assembling the Delta he was using language that I had never heard out of his mouth, too... :rolleyes:

BTW, check out the new cabinet version of the Performax 22-44. It's only $200 more than the 16-32 and looks like a winner with a bit more capacity and a sturdy build.

Mike Evertsen
11-11-2003, 6:09 PM
I have the delta been very happy with it,,,the only problem is the lower feed belt walks off but it was supposed to fixed with the new models,,,,

Afrim Hoxha
11-11-2003, 6:15 PM
Afrim, I've seem many more positive posts on the Performax over the years than on the Delta. That's not saying the Delta is bad, just that there seems to be (unscientifically) a higher degree of satisfaction with the Performax machines. When my local dealer was assembling the Delta he was using language that I had never heard out of his mouth, too... :rolleyes:

BTW, check out the new cabinet version of the Performax 22-44. It's only $200 more than the 16-32 and looks like a winner with a bit more capacity and a sturdy build.

Do you have website that shows this model. I could only find the 22-44 pro which $1999.

Jim Becker
11-11-2003, 6:25 PM
Do you have website that shows this model. I could only find the 22-44 pro which $1999.

It's a new model...they don't even have it updated on the Performax site yet, but it was shown in a recent Toolcrib sale catalog for $999--unless it was a mis-print. (I already threw out that booklet unfortunately) Amazon/Toolcrib doesn't have it on their site yet either as far as I can tell, but you might call them for information.

Thomas Prondzinski
11-11-2003, 8:09 PM
Afirm,check out the November issue #104 American Woodworker,page #43 best new tools for 2004 Performax 22-44 plus, $999 without stand,open stand $1099,closed stand $1199

Tom

Afrim Hoxha
11-11-2003, 8:43 PM
Afirm,check out the November issue #104 American Woodworker,page #43 best new tools for 2004 Performax 22-44 plus, $999 without stand,open stand $1099,closed stand $1199

Tom
I think I am going with the 16-32 plus. I really don't have much space left in an already tight shop. In addition. I don't make anything large enough to justify the larger size.

Thanks

Terry Hatfield
11-11-2003, 9:42 PM
Afrim,

I have the 16-32 plus. It has perfromed well in my shop. Makes flatteneing panels and sanding in general a much more fun task. I will caution you about one thing on these sanders, you MUST have a good dust collector with a cartridge filter or good 1 micron bags. There is simply no way to operate these machines without good dust collection.

Terry

Afrim Hoxha
11-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Afrim,

I have the 16-32 plus. It has perfromed well in my shop. Makes flatteneing panels and sanding in general a much more fun task. I will caution you about one thing on these sanders, you MUST have a good dust collector with a cartridge filter or good 1 micron bags. There is simply no way to operate these machines without good dust collection.

Terry

Terry,

I read alot about these drum sanders. It will be hooked to a 2.5 HP dustcollector with dual cartridge filter.

Bruce Page
11-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Afrim, Overall, I am very happy with the Delta. The initial set up was straightforward and I haven’t needed to do any readjustments to it. I did spend the time fine-tuning the table/drum parallelism, but that may not have been really necessary. I use to be a machinist and have all the test indicators needed. Plus, my wife says I’m exceptionally anal when it comes to machinery & tools. :rolleyes:

When I was shopping for my drum sander, I looked at the Performax 16/32 and was confused and unimpressed. I had been reading all the rave reviews, but the head deflection seemed substantially worse than the Delta. If you have an opportunity to compare them side-by-side, try pressing down on the outboard end of the head and you will see what I mean.

Doug Keener
11-12-2003, 10:41 AM
I have the 16-32 model. This would apply to any sander. When you sand glued up panels, use that rubber stick often to keep the paper from loading up. Also true with any sappy wood. I recently purchased the inlet and outlet extension tables. I had to put a shim across the top and bottom of the channel that attaches to the frame to keep the tables from wobling up and down. The channel isn't flat and when the bolts were tightened the tables were springy. I attached two layers of masking tape across the top and bottom of the channels and then tightened the bolts. No more wobble.

Initially I had a bushing on the belt idle roller (out put side) freeze up on the shaft. There was a bur on the shaft that I had to polish down. It's okay now. I also am having trouble with the pressure roller on the output side of the drum. The hole that the screw with spring goes through either isn't large enough or the spacing between holes is off. The roller, once pushed up, hangs up and will not come down. I tried running the screw down to increase pressure but it didn't help. I haven't taken it appart to fix yet.

For me I didn't judge these as major problems and would rather fix them myself.

Ocasionally when sanding panels larger than 16 inches, I find it necessary to apply down pressure by hand on the panel at the outer end of the drum (in front and behind) to keep from sanding a ridge. This could be because the pressure roller is hanging up. I'll know when I get time to fix it.

No real complaint, but some things to look for.

Doug Keener