PDA

View Full Version : Finish the inside of shop drawers or not?

glenn bradley
12-31-2006, 3:06 PM
I've done my shop cabinets both ways and all has been well for a couple of years. The part of California I'm in is not known for it's heavy weather changes.

The question stems from this; I'm getting a little better at this after slamming around for a couple years. The current cabinet I'm making may just turn out to be a long-term keeper and I'd like to do it right.

Carcase is BB ply as are the drawer bodies and false fronts. Carcase and fronts will get clear shellac 'cause I like that look in a "Shop Cabinet". What do you think, shellac the drawer bodies or leave them exposed to breath? Drawers will hold router collars, measuring sticks, feather boards, etc. for the router table.

Bob Marino
12-31-2006, 3:33 PM
Glen,

I would shellac them - same as on the outside. Even is wood movement would be minimal, and with ply, it is, the shellac makes cleaning the drawers much easier.

Bob

Ron Jones near Indy
12-31-2006, 3:36 PM
I agree with Bob. I would finish them.

Steve Kohn
12-31-2006, 4:01 PM
I painted mine a almond color in semi-gloss. Like was said earlier, they are easier to clean. Also I find that I can find stuff in the drawer easier against a painted background versus the grain of the plywood.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2006, 4:48 PM
I do I use polyurethane from a can that's pretty much shot. I have this notion that it'll make cleaning accumulated dust and crud easier when in a few years they dust & crud starts to swallow the things in the drawers.