PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Yorkcraft Jointer???

joseph j shields
01-03-2007, 2:03 PM
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on buying the Yorkcraft 8" jointer, but I'm a little scared since I've never seen one.:eek: :eek:

I can get it for $735 delivered to my door. ($599 + $136 for shipping)

Does anyone have any expereince with the Yorkcraft??

Any other thoughts, suggestions, comments???

Thanks!

-jj

Al Willits
01-03-2007, 2:11 PM
I like mine, but if your ever near Mpls, stop by and you can check out the 8" jointer and 15" planer.
Jointer has 4 blades instaed of the usual three and does make a nice smooth cut.
Let me know your favorite beverage and I'll make sure to have some...:D

Al...who hopes it ain't 25 year old Scotch...

joseph j shields
01-03-2007, 2:19 PM
I like mine, but if your ever near Mpls, stop by and you can check out the 8" jointer and 15" planer.
Jointer has 4 blades instaed of the usual three and does make a nice smooth cut.
Let me know your favorite beverage and I'll make sure to have some...:D

Al...who hopes it ain't 25 year old Scotch...
Al

Thanks for the input...

Not 25 year old scotch... how about 40 year old :p (Actually I was thinking about a cold Leinie's...I used to work there... I created the Leinie Lodge concept many years ago!)

Now back to the jointer... How deep in the machine with the fence all the way back??? I have limited floor space??

Also, are the blades easy to change???

How easy is it to adjust the beds???

Thanks!

-jj

Al Willits
01-03-2007, 3:00 PM
Leinie's will work, honeyweiss?

"""""
Now back to the jointer... How deep in the machine with the fence all the way back??? I have limited floor space??

Also, are the blades easy to change???

How easy is it to adjust the beds???
"""""""""""""""""

I'll measure when I get home tonight.

Blades easy?
Kinda a loaded question, I watched the Vaughan (sp?) video on setting up and changing blades and is it hard? no, but it does take time....don't have any of them Leinie's before and you probably will after.

Figure a couple of hours to change, depending on how close you want the blades, I got them with in a thousanth of each other and figure next time will still take two hours.
Darn blades are sharp and I move pretty slow around them now.

Adjust beds?
If you mean up and down, piece of cake, the wheels work smoothly and the infeed table has a adjustable scale.
Figuring that wasn't quite what ya had in mind...to adjust the beds for true, no, I don't think its as easy as the other style of jointer, but doable.
Once again time being the issue over how hard it is, I'll let ya know as soon as my straight edge gets here and I can recheck for true.
I did find a variance of about .003 measuring front to back on the outfeed table with my dial indicator so I'll be adding a shim to the one side.

Doesn't look hard, just a pita.

On the other hand, this jointer does some really nice work, especially when the operator has his stuff together, and I'll trade some of the adjustablity the higher priced jointers may have for the cost saving, once the table is set, it should stay that way a long time.

Besides, what else we gonna do in the winter time beside's play in the shop????

Hope this helps a little.
Al

Keith Beck
01-03-2007, 5:04 PM
Joseph,

I just picked up my Yorkcraft 8" jointer a few weeks ago. My brother and I made the drive up from his house in DE. I also got their mortiser and he picked up a 6" jointer.

I haven't run a whole lot of board feet through mine yet, but from the amount I have used it, I'm very impressed. Set-up was fairly simple and straightforward, but that sucker is heavy, so be prepared. Fit and finish looks pretty good, especially where it matters most.

I say go for it.

Keith

john whittaker
01-03-2007, 5:49 PM
Joseph, I've had the 8" Yorkie for several years and an pleased with the performance. My fence is a different style than the current model...which is a good thing for you since the new style takes up less room.

Since this jointer is very similar to others in the same class, I think customer service is important in your decision. Wilke's customer service was very good.

Good luck

Alan Greene
01-03-2007, 8:09 PM
I just received my YC8J. Fit and finish was great, I still need to adjust the knives, they are slightly low, and yes sharp. I had a small problem with the delivery company, and with a single call to Wilke they fixed the problem with the shipping company. They are sending me an extra set of knives because of the issue even though it was not their problem. Their customer service has been outstanding!!! I am working out of a tight space and have been impressed by the size of the jointer. It fits lengthwise within 1/2 of the garage even with the wall cabinets so the LOML can still fit her car in the garage. It is a total of 27" wide with the fence set for an 8" cut. The beds on mine are dead flat. I was unable to get a .001 feeler gage under the new Lee Valley straight edge anywhere. I will give an update after I adjust the knives and get some wood through it if you like.

Matt Calder
01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Joseph,

It's the only jointer I've ever owned, so my saying it is great isn't saying much. But I did get some spot on technical advice from the service department at Wilke on the Friday before Christmas this year that allowed me to fix my Bridgewood DC that very same day. I agree with the sentiment that the value of good service should be factored in, and in the case of Wilke, my experience was quite positive.

Matt

david eisaman
01-07-2007, 1:30 AM
hi
i have one
go for it but get the byrd cutter head