PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Myrtle wood

Doug Keener
11-19-2003, 8:29 PM
I have a salad bowl set and a small perfume bottle holder made from Myrtle wood. They are all about the color of walnut (a dark brown). I am making a small project from Myrtle wood for the first time to see how it works. The wood is light with some interesting darker streaks and some grey areas. Does anyone know what stain one would use to get the dark brown appreance? I tried Watco dark walnut, but that doesn't even come close. Thanks, Doug Keener

Keith Harper
11-19-2003, 8:37 PM
I turn a number of pieces from myrtle wood but I find the natural appearance so pleasing I finish with lacquer sanding sealer followed by sever coats of spray lacquer. Then I complete the process with BRIWAX, clear.

Gene Collison
11-19-2003, 10:16 PM
I turn a number of pieces from myrtle wood but I find the natural appearance so pleasing I finish with lacquer sanding sealer followed by sever coats of spray lacquer. Then I complete the process with BRIWAX, clear.

Ditto on the Briwax but I use shellac instead of lacquer. I likewise love the natural color. I'll have to try lacquer.

Gene

Norm Koerner
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I bet it's like cherry and a number of other species including mulberry--it darkens with age and exposure to light. Patina might be the right word.