PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Stability

Burt Alcantara
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I want to build a small footprint stand for my bench grinder. The top will be about 20" x (10|11") x 1.5". If I built a straight up stand it would most likely be easy to tip over. The solution would be to angle the legs.

The question is what is the minimum angle required to give me a tip proof stand while not being so intrusive that I knock into it?

I'll probably build this with 2x4 and .75 ply as I've got a lot lying around.

Thanks,
Burt

Tom Jones III
01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't know what the minimum is, but I built a small table for LOML for her scroll saw and for general use. I angled the legs 9* in both directions, everything else is a standard table. It is the most stable thing I have ever made.

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
What Tom said: think "table", not "stand".

If you think you need a bigger footprint for stability, you might as well make the top the same size as the footprint and use vertical legs. It will be just as stable and it will give you a place to set tools and stuff while you're sharpening.

Lee Schierer
01-18-2007, 1:02 PM
Stability occurs when the center of gravity falls between the feet. It will tip over anytime the CG falls out side the feet when tipped in any direction. You will need to determine how far you want it to tip without falling over to determine the base size, once you figure out where the CG is.

There are several ways to increase stability. Some of the more practical ones are: Making the base foot print larger; Adding an equal or heavier weight at the floor level; Anchoring the stand to the floor.

Ed Breen
01-18-2007, 1:17 PM
If you have access to a welder, a car or truck wheel a 6" by 24" length of pipe and a plate welded together works well. No Tipping!
Ed

Noah Katz
01-18-2007, 1:23 PM
Depends on the height, weight, and depth of footprint.

Since you push away from you when grinding, a given depth base offset back would be better.

Kent Fitzgerald
01-18-2007, 2:16 PM
I built mine as an open-front box with shelves (basically a small bookcase) and I store my 9x12" granite surface plate (40 lbs) on the bottom shelf. It's stable. A bag of sand ballast would work as well.