PDA

View Full Version : Lumber/Tool stores in the Ozarks

John Shattuck
02-06-2007, 3:08 PM
I live in NE Arkansas: 1 hour S of West Plains, MO; 3 hours N of Little Rock; 3 hours SE of Springfield, MO (I get to go to Grizzly when I've been good) (i.e. rarely). Does anyone know the address of that great lumber place that is nice to newbies and has good selection and prices that I've been unable to find yet?
I get into LR semi often, is there anywhere good there?
Thank you,
John

Gary Lange
02-06-2007, 3:31 PM
John, I live up by Springfield, Mo. and we have a Grizzly Warehouse Store up here. It would be about a 3 hour trip for you but come up Route 63 to Route 60 into Springfield is a nice drive. Leave early and you are here before the store opens.

Harley Lewis
02-06-2007, 3:40 PM
John, there is no tool dealer I have found in Arkansas that will compare to Grizzly or the other stores in Springfield. Even Little Rock does not have a good tool store. Tulsa does, but that is a long drive for you.

I buy a lot of lumber from Johnson mill in Oklahoma http://www.johnsonsawmill.com/. It is about 90 minutes west of Fayetteville so a long haul for you. Their lumber is really good and they have lots of standard oak, walnut, cherry, maple and a good selection of exotics along with quality hardwood plywoods. Their web site tells you the woods they have and current pricing. I buy lots of QS red and white oak from them.

Near Yellville there is a small mill that uses a woodmiser saw that sells air dried rough lumber. He has a web site, google arkansawyer and I think you will find it. I have not purchased oak, or cedar from him, but I have gotten 150 bd ft of walnut at $1.50 a bd ft. It is nice stuff -- and I prefer air dried walnut. I am not sure I want to try air dried oak or not, I doubt if it gets dry enough unless you sticker it for a year or two inside and even then it may not be dry enough. Good luck with your search.

By the way, I live in Fayetteville, have a second home on the White river near Cotter.

Barry Beech
02-06-2007, 5:17 PM
By the way, I live in Fayetteville, have a second home on the White river near Cotter.

You must be a fisherman. :D

Here in Memphis (which should be about 2 to 2.5hrs from you) Scott Banbury sells lumber. He is a member of the creek. Do a search for him and you will find him and go to his webpage.

I have not bought lumber from him yet but have heard good things about him and his product.

Jim McDonald
02-06-2007, 5:42 PM
I live in NE Arkansas: 1 hour S of West Plains, MO; 3 hours N of Little Rock; 3 hours SE of Springfield, MO (I get to go to Grizzly when I've been good) (i.e. rarely). Does anyone know the address of that great lumber place that is nice to newbies and has good selection and prices that I've been unable to find yet?
I get into LR semi often, is there anywhere good there?
Thank you,
John
John, try OP Hardwoods in Springfield MO. also on line ophardwoods.com .
I visited them for the first time in Jan., and was fairly impressed with their service and selection of wood.

Irvin Cooper
02-06-2007, 7:21 PM
John,

I have dealt with Scott Banbury in Memphis frequently and have found him to be a very fair man who is both knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Look up MidTown Lumber & Logging in memphis.

Irv

Steve Rowe
02-06-2007, 8:05 PM
John,
Hardwoods around LR, I deal with Hogans. They are located on Redmond Rd in Jacksonville. They also have a warehouse on Geyer Springs Road in LR. They have a large selection of domestics and exotics.

Tools in AR, think mail order. Tech Mark is located in North Little Rock and they are the distributor for Rojek. When you travel to Springfield, MO you may also want to check out Ballew Saw & Tool. They have an excellent selection of power tools and machinery. As I recall, they don't have much selection for handtools.
Steve