PDA

View Full Version : Project: Nastia's Birdhouse

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 9:09 PM
Working in the shop this weekend was interesting due to the variety of projects simultaneously in progress. My older daughter Nastia has been asking to do another project as of late and seemed fine with the idea of a birdhouse. You may recall that she did some doll furniture in early 2006. (Barbie Tables (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29416)and Doll Cradles (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30308))

Well, several times today she came into the shop and asked me if I "had wood for her"...I said, "soon" and got to work putting together a "kit". I'm not about to let an 11 year old use saws, etc., but assembly is fine.

So, I'll admit right up front that this was not a project that would "tax" the slider, but it was perfect for quickly (and I do mean quickly) preparing the basic parts for a birdhouse.

58230 58231

Using a couple clamps, I verified that said parts would actually assemble into a birdhouse before I called her back out to the shop.

After a suitable lecture on shop safety (repeated several times, I might add), she got to work assembling the parts. After applying some glue to the edge it was, "Just a few brads to hold it until the glue dries." (Now, where have I heard that before??? :) ) Oh, please note that except for in this one picture, I was also holding the nail gun to insure it was pointed correctly and safely.

58233 58234

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 9:10 PM
A little more glue and she's ready to attach the second end to the piece she's already assembled.

More gluing gets her ready for attaching the second side.

The bottom needs to open for cleaning the birdhouse out after "the season", so Nastia pre-drilled and then inserted some stainless steel screws to act as hinges.

Alesya was in the shop to observe...the required safety glasses were a little, umm...voluminous...on this 7 year old's face, but did the job!

And here we go...all ready for painting when it gets a little warmer. :)

And now we return you to our regularly scheduled projects... :D

John Timberlake
02-18-2007, 9:26 PM
Great job, Jim. Always good to do things with kids, especially getting them interested in woodworking. The birdhouse came out nicely.

Tim Morton
02-18-2007, 9:36 PM
Very Nice:)

Gary Breckenridge
02-18-2007, 10:57 PM
:D Nice work:D :D :D

jonathan snyder
02-19-2007, 1:25 AM
Hope you get a colorful tenant!!!

Dan Forman
02-19-2007, 2:53 AM
Very cool, always enjoy seeing pics of the girls.

Dan

Jim Dunn
02-19-2007, 6:41 AM
Hurry up, the Blue Birds are already looking to set up home. Neat project for the girls.

Lou Ferrarini
02-19-2007, 7:10 AM
Jim,

Thats great. I always tried to interest my boys in woodworking, but my older son (who is now married and living in Buffalo) never showed any interest.

My younger boy who is now in college has worked with me in the shop on various occasions and is a lot more interested in woodworking.

I guess I know who is going to get all the tools someday.

BTW, I told the wife I needed a slider so I could build nice birdhouses like you. :D :D :D :D

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2007, 7:36 AM
Jim... Great job! Moments like these will be remembered long after the birdhouse turns to dust.

I'm not about to let an 11 year old use saws, etc., but assembly is fine.

One point though...and I say this only as encouragement not judgement...only parents understand their children's capability...but 10 wasn't too early for mine to use tools. I did require very specific actions and oversight...but they were very capable. In fact my son thinks that my encouragement when he was young (before teenager years ;) even according to him btw) lead him to be good at what he does now. I actually started when I was much younger...and actually working at 12...but my dad grew up on a farm and felt if you could walk and talk...you could work.:eek:

David Cramer
02-19-2007, 7:43 AM
Excellent Jim! Keep'em involved and interested and what they are capable of will amaze you. Perfect project too. Once the first bird flies in and out, Nastia will see the fruits of her labor. Way to go!

Dave

p.s. I will be sending you out a few Bessy clamps soon, as I see you're in dire need!:)

Rob Will
02-19-2007, 8:05 AM
Looks great Jim. The girls will always remember these little shop projects. On top of that, projects like this are a nice stress relief for dads:D .

How about a cedar gazebo wild bird feeder to go with the birdhouse?
Put it on a treated 4x4 post and wrap the post with matching cedar?

Rob

John Miliunas
02-19-2007, 8:36 AM
Nice project, Jim and Nastia! Make sure to post a couple pics once the paint goes on and maybe even one with occupants! :D :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
02-19-2007, 8:36 AM
Neat project! I'll bet you were tickled they are both taking an interest in your passion. They'll be building furniture before too long!

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:12 AM
One point though...and I say this only as encouragement not judgement...only parents understand their children's capability...but 10 wasn't too early for mine to use tools. I did require very specific actions and oversight...but they were very capable.

I don't disagree, but it has to be based on the particular child. Nastia's attention span is way too short for working with any of the cutting tools. She's not ready. Honestly, the only reason we used the nail gun was "time"...even that was stretching things for her and outside of one brad, my own hand had to guide the nailer to keep her focused. In fact, she was a little fearful of it. Which is just fine by me.

Christopher Stahl
02-19-2007, 9:28 AM
Excellent work Nastia! I would also like to see a photo when house is painted up and has occupants.

Mike Wilkins
02-19-2007, 9:35 AM
The beginnings of a studio artist???
Great to see the younger generation involved. By the way. Do you also cook in your shop? That looks like a pot on a heating element to the right of the miter saw. Hot soup while you work?

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:42 AM
TBy the way. Do you also cook in your shop? That looks like a pot on a heating element to the right of the miter saw. Hot soup while you work?

No...warm BLO and other finishes. It's cold outside. ;)

John Buzzurro
02-19-2007, 9:51 AM
Good job Nastia! Jim, thanks for sharing.

Benjimin Young
02-19-2007, 9:59 AM
Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.

Bob Swenson
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Jim; You’re a great dad. Never did anything like that with the kids.
One of them throws Pots and pounds nails. (Chris)
Per pounds nails and throws you know what!
Eric has a Masters in fine Art and sells cookies.
GO FIGURE
We Norwegians either pound nails or cut bait
Bob

Mike Weaver
02-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Nastia,
очень хороший!
(took Russian in high school - still remember little things like "very good" :eek: )

Jim,
Working on projects with my kids is one of, if not THE most satisfying things to do in the shop.

BTW, I'm not sure if they would work over other glasses, but we have child sized safety glasses for our boys.

Thanks for sharing this.
-Mike

Dave Ray
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for sharing, Jim.... not just the building of a bird house but more importantly the building of memories. Years from now your daughters will be telling your grand children.... "my Dad and I"....

lou sansone
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
hi jim
one of the better posts recently . thanks for sharing it with us

best wishes
lou

Todd Solomon
02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Jim,

I think it's terrific that you're taking time to help your kids grow, despite the large remodel project you have before you. I'm in the middle of a major shop and storage expansion project, and your post is a good reminder to reserve some family time for my daughters. It's easy to get caught up in the rush to get things done, but not as easy to remember what's priority #1- family. I think you've struck a nice balance.

Todd

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:53 PM
Mike, I do have some child sized safety goggles, but they were purchased before the girls got their glasses. They really don't work well with the specs. Fortunately, the safety glasses I had them use stay on their heads quite well and frankly, bigger isn't all that terrible when you consider more of their face is protected.

Todd...you make some good points. I really did have to smack myself yesterday to stray from the "tasks at hand" and quickly come up with a small project. It's so easy to get absorbed that one can forget what's more important...that's one of the things that Nastia and I have in common: She uses videos to escape from the intense stress she holds and I use my shop for the same.

Nancy Laird
02-19-2007, 9:57 PM
Jim, this post brought back some fond memories for me. I used to help my dad with some of his projects. I don't know how much help I was, but I was with my daddy, and those memories are precious to me. I'd still rather be in the shop with the men than in the house with the women! Good job on the birdhouse and tell Nastia--for me--good job!!

Nancy

Sam Chambers
02-20-2007, 10:59 AM
...only parents understand their children's capability...but 10 wasn't too early for mine to use tools.

Absolutely correct, Glenn. My 12 year-old stepson loves to join me in the shop. Unfortunately, he is highly ADHD - not a good combination. I taught him to turn pens on my midi-lathe, and we have a scroll saw that he's allowed to use, but hasn't shown an interest yet. But no way would I let him near any sharp spinning things like blades or bits.

I've had to make him leave the shop on more than one occasion because he wouldn't follow the rules. (My shop, my rules!) Example: He sometimes likes to hop around on 1 foot. That's not a good thing at all in a shop, where there's sawdust and chips on the floor, hard cast iron surfaces to hit one's head on, and another person using power tools. If he gets to stay in the shop while I'm using the power tools, he has to stand where I can see him in my peripheral vision, so I know where he is.

Jim, it sure looks like Nastia enjoyed her shop time with you! A birdhouse was the first project Geoffrey and I worked on together, so it brings back some fond memories.

Dave Worsley
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Nice pic's and story! I really like the look of your shop as well, it gets me dreaming about my shop someday! Right now with two kids at Collage its all i can do to pay the bills on time! But someday it will happen, and my love for woodworking i know it will?

Dave

Eric Wong
02-20-2007, 2:10 PM
Great post! My mom needs some birdhouses, now I just need to find some kids...:D

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2007, 2:29 PM
Great post, Jim. Glad you can work her into your "world". Maybe little things like this, that she wants to do, will help build her ability to focus. And that last picture. You sure can tell that they are sisters! Priceless!! Jim.

Jim Becker
02-20-2007, 11:00 PM
My mom needs some birdhouses, now I just need to find some kids...

Trust me...if you think that power tools are hard on the budget... ;)

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Good point!

Jason Tuinstra
02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Great job Jim... and girls. What an encouraging reminder to "take time." Thanks. You did good.

Pete Brown
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Very nice, Jim

I can't wait until my boy is old enough to get involved in some projects like that. :)

Pete

Doug M Jones
02-21-2007, 5:49 PM
Jim, You have been blessed! My 4 kids don't remember when I didn't stop to take time but they sure remember when we put off work to sneak over to the lake to drown some worms. The work will be there tomorrow.:)

My first grandchild came along last September and I am looking forward to working on projects together.