PDA

View Full Version : Extension table lift ?s

Brad Copeland
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I am in the process of installing a jessum router-lift in my PM66 extension table. Discovered slight crown across the end of the table (right corner droops) Trying to take out by adjusting leg. At this point am debating even going with this particular lift. I initially got it because it "matched" the TS but I'm having second thoughts because of the crown and also the particullar lift. Any imput would be appreciated. I've been lurking for about a month. Love the Creek! Brad

Hal Flynt
03-06-2007, 6:15 PM
How about a torsion box for the extension? 3/8" skins, maybe even 1/4".

Replace the extension OR try to use the current extension as the top skin IF you gan glue it flat.

glenn bradley
03-06-2007, 6:21 PM
I'm not sure how you would mount a router lift in the middle of a torsion box?

glenn bradley
03-06-2007, 6:26 PM
Brad, let's talk about a couple things. If the saw is relatively new and the extension wing is more than say . . . .01" out of flat over it's surface, that's a manufacturer or store issue to be made right. If you've had it for years and are just getting around to using it, that's a different story.

Before we get into tweaking your RT extension, what is it about the lift (and what model is it) that you are questioning. The reason I ask is that if you are going to go to a lift that doesn't fit the wing then we can stop worrying about the wing and focus elsewhere. eh?

Hal Flynt
03-06-2007, 6:34 PM
Glenn,

Good question. I would frame around the area for the router lift, then cut out the space and rabbet the lip in the top skin. After thinking about that, the top skin should be at least as thick as the router plate and if only that thick, a support frame would be glued in place under the top skin. I can see it in my head, but I am not sure my words are conveying it.

Let’s do the same thing from a different starting point. Make the necessary opening in the extension table as if that was what you wanted. Then flip it over and glue a torsion grid in, skin it and after it’s dry, cut the bottom skin.

I hope that makes sense.

Brad Copeland
03-06-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks for replies.
First saw is less than 1 year old. I have been in contact with the powermatic folks and they didn't seem to think I had a Big issue. ?

Second The lift is Jessum Rout-r-lift. Reviewing router info this lift gets lower grades primarily for inability to change bits easily above the plate. I got this lift mostly because it "matches the saw" Is gold and has powermatic stamped on it. Probably not the best basis for this selection.

Third I think I get your idea about beefing up the table. Also had the suggestion of using aluminum angle iron under the table to draw it flat.

Thanks for your response Brad

glenn bradley
03-06-2007, 8:43 PM
Hal,

I can see it. Thanks for the explanation.

glenn bradley
03-06-2007, 8:46 PM
"Also had the suggestion of using aluminum angle iron under the table to draw it flat"

Having said that, I will say that I was surprised by how much CI can be influenced. I had a wing that I thought was a go-back but some shimming brought it right in line. Again, very surprised. I would experiment.