PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 round molding

Jerry Evans
03-23-2007, 1:39 PM
I have just installed floating wood flooring all thru my daughters house and now I need to put down 3/4 round molding against the baseboard to cover the 1/4 space left for expansion as per instructions on the box...the problem I have is that it will cost a lot for predone at the borg...I want to use my router table to make it for her...any advise on the size bit I need to get...3/4 bit doesnt seem to make a complete half moon or am I missing something..using 3/4 MDF....thanks alot

RANDY PAULK
03-23-2007, 1:51 PM
Jerry

Shoe Moulding Would Be Just As Appropriate. It Is Only 1/2' X 3/4' And Can Easily Be Made With A Roundover Bit. The Moulding Doesn't Have To Be 3/4 By 3/4, Unless That Is Specifically What You Want. You Could Also Use A Small Ogee Bit To Make The Profile Cut.

Bob Rufener
03-23-2007, 2:19 PM
I have a set of roundover bits and have used them to make various sizes of 1/4 round moulding. I found it was a lot easier to rout the profile on the full board and then cut the moulding off on a table saw. I have only made lengths to complete projects-not for a project like yours so it might be kind of difficult with long stock.

Jerry Evans
03-23-2007, 2:28 PM
thank you for the replies...I want to be able to come out from the baseboard 3/4 and 3/4 high if I can

Joe Chritz
03-23-2007, 2:47 PM
Unless you want to have a true 1/4 round just use a round over on the top and make a 3/4" high shoe mould.

Same effect with a little different look.

Milling your own lets you get the look you want. Make a couple samples and decide which is best then go to town.

Bob's advice about a tablesaw is good. Take a wider board and profile both sides then rip the moulding free. MDF isn't super expensive so I would use a piece about 3 inches wide or so and toss the scrap. Much safer on fingers that way.

Joe