PDA

View Full Version : how do you make a burnisher?

Stephen Sebed
12-21-2003, 9:15 AM
I would like to make a burnisher for sharpening my scrapers but I don't know how to do it. What should I use for the burnisher? what about a handle?

I have read through this site about scrapers.
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/scraping/scraper.htm
It mentions using Wrist pins and lifters from an auto repair shop. What are wrist pins and lifters? (its obvious I'm not a car guy)
What would I need to do to these in order to use them as a burnisher?

Thanks,
Stephen

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 10:12 AM
I would like to make a burnisher for sharpening my scrapers but I don't know how to do it. What should I use for the burnisher? what about a handle?

I have read through this site about scrapers.
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/scraping/scraper.htm
It mentions using Wrist pins and lifters from an auto repair shop. What are wrist pins and lifters? (its obvious I'm not a car guy)

Thanks,
Stephen

Even the shaft of a screwdriver will work. That is what i used to use. I bought the plastic one from Lee Valley and it works good. You need to file first before you make the hook. You can get 4 edges on a scraper...and Sandvick are still the best!
Mark

harry strasil
12-21-2003, 6:15 PM
Stephan, I use a dull solid carbide burr for a burnisher with the dull cutting end driven into a wooden file handle. Carbide is extremely hard and will not gald, I use one drop of light oil on burnisher as a lubricant. Dull carbide burrs can usually be obtained from a machine shop for nothing as when dull they are thrown into the scrap barrel.

Jason Roehl
12-21-2003, 6:36 PM

Thanks,
Stephen

Wrist pins are what connect a piston to the arm (arm is connected to the shoulder, which connects it to the crankshaft). They allow the arm to pivot back and forth as the crankshaft turns, while the piston rides up and down in the cylinder. Lifters are attached to the valves (which allow the entry of the fuel-air mixture and the exit of exhaust, 2 or more per cylinder), and the lifters are actuated generally by either pushrods, or an overhead cam or two. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, eh?

Bob Smalser
12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
I have several that gather dust...the back of a good paring chisel works just as well.