PDA

View Full Version : First Real Woodworking Project

Justin McCurdy
04-07-2007, 4:59 PM
Well, after playing around for a couple months and having fun using most of my new tools for the first time, here is my router table. What they don't tell you about it is that it would be really nice to have a router table to use when constructing this one.

Justin McCurdy
04-07-2007, 5:00 PM

Bruce Page
04-07-2007, 5:06 PM
What they don't tell you about it is that it would be really nice to have a router table to use when constructing this one.

Well, you gotta start somewhere!

That tool will be instrumental in the creation of many more projects! (and tools too)
Very nice

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2007, 5:26 PM
Justin...........This isn't the Turners Forum.....You wouldn't be pulling our legs would you?.......First Real Woodworking Project? You wasted a lot of valuable time not getting involved in w/w before now! Very Well Done!

Chris Barton
04-07-2007, 5:34 PM
I only wish my first project looked so good! Great job!

Dennis Kelly
04-07-2007, 5:41 PM
Great Job Justin!!
I too am new to wordworking and seeing your pictures is motivation to complete my own router table...can I borrow your table to make mine???;)

Deke Kelly

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 5:58 PM
Nice job, Justin! Great work. And this is a really versatile router table setup...it will get a lot of use I suspect!

Curious...did you do the dust collection port in the back of the cabinet at 4"? (I can't really tell from the pictures) If not, you may want to make the air holes in your door smaller and just have them across the bottom of the door to provide a "sweeping" airflow to clear dust and chips from the cabinet. Incoming air space should average the same or be slightly more than the size of your port on the cabinet. What you have will work, but try covering the upper holes with tape and see what the difference is in collection. Each and cheap test!

Carroll Courtney
04-07-2007, 6:03 PM
Geeeeeee,wish I could have built something that good for my first project.I super size each pic, very nice.

Peter Stahl
04-07-2007, 8:11 PM
Very nicely done Justin. Now you can use your first project help you make your second!

Charles Jackson III
04-07-2007, 8:43 PM
Very nice work.

Justin McCurdy
04-07-2007, 9:01 PM
The dust collection is 4". I have left the fence dc at 2.5" so that I could use the shop vac for over table collection and the dc for under table collection. It would have come out a bit better had I used a better gauge than my eye to square my table saw fence before I cut all of the plywood.

This is really my first project. I have built 2 decks and a playhouse, but all of that was done with a miter saw, circular saw, and a corded driver. I almost got through this one without the use of any dimensional lumber. Unfortunately I needed the extra support for a base to attach the wheels.

I am finally realizing why it takes you professionals so long to construct things. Every step of the way you see something that is not quite pefect and go to great lengths to make it so. I didn't go the extra mile on this project, just earmarked my mistakes for future reference.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Justin, very cool! That will come in handy in the years to come. Keep it up! Now, what's the first piece of furniture you're going to make with it?

Corey Hallagan
04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Very nice work and a great looking router table. I am sure you will get lots of use from it!

Corey

"Jason Belous"
04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
nice work justin, glad to see you put that new table saw to work, and fast as well. The slider that i bought from you has been working great. Pleasure meeting you.

Don Bullock
04-08-2007, 12:43 AM
You're off to a great start. I need one of those myself.

Alan Greene
04-08-2007, 1:11 AM
Justin, Nice job on the Router Table. It will stand you in good stead for the future, which looks pretty bright.