PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl Natural Edge Winged Bowl

Shane Whitlock
05-10-2007, 9:05 PM
Kind of a funky lookin bowl. Its 10" wide on the wings with a 5" bowl. I turned it green to the final shape and sanded to 1200 grit. I then soaked it in DNA so it wouldn't crack and took it out to dry and warp, it didn't crack any but I was hoping it would of warped a little more. Some more hand sanding and then finished with BLO and buffed and polished with White Diamond and carnauba wax.

I originally planned to turn this with a natural edge on the bowl rim too but spaced out while I was turning it and next thing I know its gone. :eek: I also thought about doing it with a small foot, or flat spot on the bottom, but it kept tipping over with the weight of the wing, so I went with a round botom. :rolleyes:

Comment/Critiques always welcome ...

Personally I don't care for it much, but my wife is always telling me I'm too picky about my work, and judging from some of my previous posts here, she may be right ... Just don't tell her that. ;)

Shane Whitlock

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2007, 9:11 PM
Shane - I have to tell you - that's different! Different is good! Beautiful wood, form and finish! You got a name for it yet?

Shane Whitlock
05-10-2007, 9:22 PM
... You got a name for it yet?
Thanks Steve ... Nope, no name. I am terrible at coming up with names. I was the same way with my photography. I actually had a lady in Salt Lake that would name my photos for me before I sent the prints to the galleries.

Joseph Peacock
05-10-2007, 9:28 PM
That's a very wild box elder ne, that is a beautiful bowl.:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2007, 9:31 PM
Great looking AND you OBVIOUSLY stayed out of the DANGER ZONE!

Bruce

Curt Fuller
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
You got a name for it yet?

Off Kilter, for sure!

Grat looking bowl!

Shane Whitlock
05-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Off Kilter, for sure!

Great name Curt :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Mighty fine looking bowl Shane. I like the different look. Nice job.

Richard Madison
05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Goofy looking, spectacular bowl, and wonderful photography of same.

Jim Ketron
05-11-2007, 5:43 PM
I have made a few bowls like this and I find them to be a good challenge.
Nice Piece!

Robert McGowen
05-11-2007, 5:47 PM
Well you should be the only one on the block with a bowl like that!
It reminds me of a moon with a ring around it. I like it!