PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette on Engraving Couples Names?

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
O.K. everyone, I think I know the answer to this but I had someone challenge me this morning . . . so now I am wondering.

When engraving couples names on things such as cake toppers, champagne, wine, etc., which goes first the chicken or the egg, I mean, rooster?

I have been engraving the ladies first, is this correct or have I messed up?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Zelma (Psalms 18:2)

Nancy Laird
05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Zelma, traditionally it has been the man's name first, then the woman's, but I don't think there's any "correct" way any more--just ask the couple how they want it and do it that way. It's their day, their items, so they get to decide. If it wasn't one half of the couple challenging you, why worry about it, unless they are paying??

Nancy

Kevin Huffman
05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I just got married (back in March) and my wife wouldn't have it any other way, it has to be Abby & Kevin Huffman.
She said it was because her last name wasn't Huffman until after the wedding. But now she signs everything Kevin and Abby Huffman.

I would let the couple decide.

Phyllis Meyer
05-29-2007, 1:04 PM
Hi James & Zelma,

No right or wrong way anymore...the girls name goes on the invitation first, but I'm "old school" and always put my husband's name first on everything. I agree with Nancy, just ask the couple.

How did the coffee cups turn out? Did you get to engrave them? Have a great day!

Phyllis:)

Dave Fifield
05-29-2007, 2:18 PM
In English schools, they still teach you to put names in alphabetical order - it looks right and reads nicely.