PDA

View Full Version : New to forum.....introduction

Christof Grohs
05-30-2007, 4:07 PM
Hi folks,

I've been lurking around this place for quite some time now and I finally decided it's time to give a little, lord knows I've taken my share of advice from this great place.

I own and operate a custom hardwood flooring company so I will try to answer whatever questions I can regarding wood floors.

Cheers,
Christof

Ken Werner
05-30-2007, 4:09 PM
Hi Christof, and welcome to the Creek.
Ken

Aaron Beaver
05-30-2007, 4:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek, enjoy your stay.

Tim Malyszko
05-30-2007, 4:17 PM
Welcome Christof. This place is a goldmine of information.

Pat Germain
05-30-2007, 8:15 PM
Hi Christof. I'm going to have some hardwood flooring questions for you as soon as my budget is ready to replace the carpet on my first floor.

But since I'm already here, what you think of the new bamboo floorings? Any good, or a cheap solution with a short life?

Christof Grohs
05-30-2007, 8:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Hi Christof. I'm going to have some hardwood flooring questions for you as soon as my budget is ready to replace the carpet on my first floor.

But since I'm already here, what you think of the new bamboo floorings? Any good, or a cheap solution with a short life?

Pat, The inexpensive prefinished scares me a bit. I question the QC at the factory. I only install unfinished bamboo and site finish it to be sure of what I'm dealing with. I have installed prefinished in the past and, knock on wood, never a problem but aside from the "what-if's" I do not care for the cheap look of prefinished so I push site-finished everything.

As far as Bamboo as a material, I think it is wonderful. It's a grass so it is quite stable, it's much faster growing than trees making it "green" in my book, it's relatively cheap, it's about as hard as maple, and sands/finishes very nice. I think it's gotten a bit of a bad rap because of the reputation of the shaddy prefinished selling for next to nothing at the big box stores.

-c

Pat Germain
05-30-2007, 8:54 PM
Thanks, Christof. I had no idea bamboo flooring was just as hard a maple. I assumed it would be at least as soft as pine.