PDA

View Full Version : Hand Saw Mark

James Davis
07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Does anyone recognize the mark that I tried to draw in the attached picture? This is a saw that I had gotten from my Dad before he died 18 years ago. he kept it under a shed and exposed to the weather and I am just getting around to cleaning it up. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

I hope the image shows up it is an attachment.

James Davis

James Davis
07-30-2007, 1:07 PM
Let me try another Image

Bob Smalser
07-30-2007, 2:31 PM
London Spring Steel indicates a Disston high-end hand saw. I know of no #125, however. It's may be a #12, #112 or a #120, all valuable saws if the blades have good life remaining.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/12page/No12ETCH2.jpg

Mike K Wenzloff
07-30-2007, 4:04 PM
Etch is wrong design for a Disston, I suspect.

But there were several makers and or hardware stores that Disston custom etched saws for. It's possible they had a different numbering system.

As well, there were several companies which used the marketing ploy of 'London Spring Steel' (all Disston steel was the same composition).

Prior to Disston and shortly after he started in this country, London Spring Steel actually was meant to distinguish the type of steel from the other types used for saws. However, those early Disston saws were not marked thus (no etching anyway at that time).

Look at the medallion. One chance in one hundred it isn't a Warranted Superior medallion. But if it is something else, that will identify the maker.

Also look at the etch from varying angles of raking light. Sometimes you'll be able to make out shapes of letters. With a last name, chances are I can help.

Take care, Mike

Take care, Mike

James Davis
07-30-2007, 6:03 PM
Mike,
As you suspected the medallion is marked "Warrented Superior" it has an Eagle in the middle that looks like it has been lifting weights. A rather buff bird, if you know what I mean. It is a stamped steel medallion.

The etch has the same buzz words as the one that Bob posted. London Spring Steel and Patent Ground. I tried to scan the etch but no such luck.

Any information would be appreciated

James Davis

Mike K Wenzloff
07-30-2007, 7:26 PM
Hi James, most makers recycled the same words on various saws.

If you can interpret more of a name, it'll help. Else it will be like so many saws which have lost an etch (unidentifiable), but with a great exception: It was your dad's saw.

Take care, Mike

Bob Smalser
07-30-2007, 9:43 PM
When you've finished cleaning up the blade, degrease and apply a cold blue from a sporting goods store to the etch area. Then rub over it with 400-grit paper firmly affixed to a sanding block with the saw on a smooth surface to bring the balde back up to a high shine. Whatever is left of the etch will be brought out as clear as is possible.