PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2007, 7:38 AM
Top-O-The-Mornin' to ya.
20 Aug 2007

I hope this finds everyong doing well and are weathering the heat (if you are geographically located in any of the "warm" areas of the globe).

There's been zero shop time for me due to the day-job taking at least 60 hours a week and family taking the rest of the time. The LOML has had a death in the family and I've been franticly searching the internet for the cheapest tickets for flights as the funeral will be this Wednesday and we don't have time to get a car serviced, repaired, and made "travel ready" in time to make the 9.5 hour trip. So flying is our best choice....well, not financially, but with such short time it will have to be a good choice. I also found out that airlines do not do the "bereavement pricing" any more and haven't for sometime. Real shame in my book, but I guess that people abused it (kinda like sick leave at work) and they took it away. Oh well. :confused:

Been trying to find a 2' by 8' vacuum bag to do this blased veneer on the curved kitchen table. Aren't y'all tired of hearing me talk about this yet?? Joe Woodworker doesn't have any and won't be getting any until "maybe" October and I'm not sure about the hookups for bags coming from Quality-Vak, and Vacuum Pressing Systems are priced to high to even come close to competing with the other 2. Any ideas? Anyone got a vacuum bag that I can borrow for 2 uses on a 16" radius piece that is 4" wide? The curve is 180º and length of the curve is about 49". I can tell you that a 4' by 4' vacuum bag will not do the trick. Even if someone out there has a "laminating bag" that is 12-20" wide by at least 8feet long, I'd love to talk with you about using your vac-bag for making 2 pressings with it.
I ask this because I've lent out a few things to fellow WW'ers in the past, 1 as far away as Washington state, with very good success and reliability. So....why not ask the crew here? Right? :)

This will be an extremely busy week this week. The LOML and LOML Jr will be out of state for the family funeral until next week. I'll have the 3 boys to tend to as well as some very stressful situations at work, and the list goes on from there. It's as if "everything" in the world either starts or takes place "this week". Sheesh!!!!! :eek: :(

Any way......What did YOU do this weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.!!

Jim O'Dell
08-20-2007, 7:59 AM
Dennis, sorry to hear about the family member. Will keep you and yours in my prayers.
I worked in the shop both days this weekend. Got the torsion box tops leveled and anchored down. And both fence sections built, laminated and installed! Pictures on my shop rehab thread. Had hoped for one section of the top to get underway, but it just didn't happen. Have a good week! Jim.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2007, 8:02 AM
Dennis, it wouldn't be too hard to make that 2x8 bag from vinyl you can get at Wal-Mart of Jo-Ann Fabric. However it would take some of the time it doesn't sound like you have.

We finally went camping for the first time this summer. Between my new job and other stuff, we just haven't gotten around to it. We went over to Hartville Hardware (of Hartville Tool fame.) Saturday morning we hit the flea market there. I bought a Stanley 80 for $10 and some miscellaneous hardware. The best find was an old parking meter for $15. And it was sold by a guy who retired from the City of Akron and maintained their parking meters for 30 years so he made sure it worked, disabled the locks, and showed me how everything worked. It will be going near the old gas pump I have outside my shop. Afterward we went to Hartville Hardware to browse the tool department. I bought a few little things but nothing spectacular. I wish my local hardware store had a tool department like that.

Sunday we woke up to rain and it hasn't stopped since. Sure is fun packing up in the rain :rolleyes:. They are talking another 2-4" of rain here today after heavy rains yesterday and last night. Looks like no NASCAR race today either looking out the window--which is bad news for me since I may need to go over near the track tomorrow for work.

Al Willits
08-20-2007, 8:15 AM
Well, we're still dealing with the tree disaster of last weekend, now that we have to find a new car, this'll change the retirement plans and we're reshuffling like crazy here.
Just to keep us on our toes, woke up to water running, and found the water heater has decided to end its life, so we have 100% humidity in the house and a wet basement.
And I get to install a new water heater this morning before going to work...

Sometimes ya just gotta wonder .....

Al......who's waiting for the hardware store to open.

scott spencer
08-20-2007, 9:16 AM
I got a good start on building the 4 maple stools from the wood scraps of our kitchen island...you know, the stools that were supposed to be store bought! :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
08-20-2007, 9:16 AM
Spent from Friday morning to Sunday night lasering, color-filling, and finishing 83 plaques for the NM State Fair. Had both lasers going full blast for three days. They are done!!!!!! :D Ended up Sunday night making a batch of name tags for our on-going hotel/resort customer and lasering 20 pen boxes. Broke the marathon lasering session by having company on Saturday evening for burgers on the grill. It's back to the rat race this morning for another four days. I haven't seen my lathe in over a week.:(

Nancy (123 days)

Jim Becker
08-20-2007, 9:26 AM
Sorry for your loss, Dennis. On the vacuum bag thing...can Joe supply you with a 4' x 8' bag? Wider is just fine...

My weekend was good. Saturday, I took Nastia to see Robert Tarr's lovely ride her magnificent horse over in Princeton where she keeps it and takes training. We had a great time. Later in the day, we all went to a friend's house for swimming and some food.

Sunday was the kicker...shop time all day and a very productive session on the cherry vanities (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649&page=3).

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2007, 9:29 AM
My condolences Dennis!

Well I had an exciting weekend.:confused:

Last week I made reservations and arrangements for 30+ co-workers to take a day long jet boat tour of Hells Canyon up river from Lewiston. This trip will be on September 29th. I also volunteered us to host a cookout afterwards.

Then I it dawned on me that we are going to my 40th HS reunion the weekend before and we really ought to do some serious housecleaning with all the guests being here in September.

I'm on call this week so Saturday between shagging customer calls, I moved all of the furniture out of the diningroom and cleaned carpets and scrubbed the walls; cleaned windows, etc. (There goes my macho image)Of course, then I noticed that we probably ought to consider remodeling the kitchen/dining room in the near future......ie. next year.

Sunday, we moved everything back in and I did a little more work at customer sites.

I may be taking a week off in the next couple of weeks.

Maurice Ungaro
08-20-2007, 5:06 PM
I had a large weekend. It involved a trip over to Atlanta, down to Americus, GA, and finally home yesterday afternoon.

Saturday was pure selfishness on my part - I was able to go on a 60 mile bike ride with a lot of my old riding buddies, covering all of my old local roads. After that, I hitched up a friend's enclosed 6X12' trailer (which I sold for him to another friend in Beaufort), and headed to Redmond's to pick up my new Unisaw. It was a happpy day.

Sunday morning near Americus, we loaded up ALL of my woodworking stuff that has been sitting in storage at my sister-in-law's since December 2005. Then took a slow trip back home (towing all of that stuff really cut into the mileage!!!). Another happy day!

This morning, I unloaded the trailer and the truck bed, and am now plotting how best to spend my time setting things up. On a side note, my friend who bought the trailer happened by at the right time, with another pal, and got enlisted to help place the Unisaw on it's mobile base. Sometimes timing works out O.K.

Guy Germaine
08-21-2007, 8:28 AM
I had a wonderful weekend, but it had nothing to do with woodworking. On Saturday, I drove 4 hours to Indianapolis where Isabella and I were entered in a Water Rescue test. She passed the Junior Water Rescue test with flying colors. On Sunday, she missed getting her Senior title by one exercise. I could not be more proud of her.

http://www.fototime.com/31B58A070732DEF/standard.jpg

Gary Herrmann
08-21-2007, 9:45 AM
Very cool, Guy. How much does she weigh? She doesn't look as massive as a boy pup.

Oh and I put up some cherry chair rail that I milled. I'll try to take pics tonight.

Tyler Howell
08-21-2007, 2:39 PM
Great week in Texas followed by a trip up to the lake place with friends, Great food, entertainment, old stories and new places to explore. Did I mention great food.
Chain saw is a WW tool!!!
Took down the "widow makers" in my yard and stacked 6 cords of wood.
Have a safe week.

Tyler Howell
08-21-2007, 2:43 PM
Dennis,
A rental for a few days isn't a bad way to go.
It's still 9 hours drive time.
Sorry for your loss.

Guy Germaine
08-22-2007, 7:35 AM
Very cool, Guy. How much does she weigh? She doesn't look as massive as a boy pup.

She's not. I have a 1 year old male that weighs 120 already. She only weighs 97 pounds. With all the water work we've done this summer, that's as heavy as she gets. She'll fatten up over the winter. We'll start feeding her a slightly different diet to help that along. By spring, she'll be arount 110 or so. Once she puts on some weight,we'll start showing her again.