PDA

View Full Version : Can You Vouch for Whiteside Router Bits?

Ken Stevens
09-06-2007, 5:47 PM
I have read the FWW article testing router bits and its reco that Whiteside was the best (given the test conditions, etc). Can you comment from personal experience that these are good bits?

Yes, it depends on the task...I am a beginner but wanting to get into somewhat simple children's furniture (gifts not mfg - :) ). I have some Rockler bits now but as I expand, it seems like going in the Whiteside direction is wise.

The Woodworkdersworld.net router store seems to have pretty good prices compared with the limited other sources I have found. Is this a good place to buy them?

Thanks for your comments.
Ken

Greg Crawford
09-06-2007, 5:51 PM
Ken,

I've been using Whiteside bits for several years on different types of wood, and they have always done a good job for me. Good, smooth cuts and seem to last as well as any CMT or Amana I've ever had.

Jason Beam
09-06-2007, 5:51 PM
I can absolutely vouch for Whiteside bits. Without a doubt. I can't say a single bad thing about 'em. The only time I've had an unexpected result with my whiteside bits is when i did something stupid like ... oh ... smack into aluminum with it ... or worse, nails! :doh:

I haven't found a single task that a whiteside bit couldn't tackle if properly used (multiple shallow passes, proper feed direction, keeping the metal away, etc).

Chuck Lenz
09-06-2007, 5:53 PM
Woodpeckers sells them also.

scott spencer
09-06-2007, 5:54 PM
I'd guess my collection is up to 50-60 total bits now, and the Whitesides are arguably the finest I own....Infinity, Freud, and CMT are awfully good too. The Whitesides are American made, widely recognized, available many places, thick carbide, etc. Really nice bits....

A member here by the name of Brian Gumpper owns Holbren.com and has great prices on Whiteside....not to mention freer shipping and he's a great guy to deal with. Use "SMC10" in the discount code to get your SMC member 10% discount on top of his already great deals. :)

Also, his "Holbren" brand house bits are a good value for bits that see less mileage.

Lloyd McKinlay
09-06-2007, 6:38 PM
Whiteside bits from Holbren is where I look first. Holbren doesn't stock the entire line but has quickly filled special orders at a fair price.

Infinity bits are my second choice.

Steven Triggs
09-06-2007, 6:42 PM
My woodworking mentor, and personal friend, is a strong believer in Whiteside bits, feeling that they are the best available for the money. I haven't used them enough yet to have formed a strong personal experience based opinion. However, he has made lots of showroom quality furniture, so I can't argue with his view.

The best pricing I've been able to find is from http://www.hartvilletool.com. They have what appears to already be on the low end of pricing on Whiteside bits, but then if you mention the WoodNet forums in the shipping instructions box and they will apply a 20% discount and free shipping (if over $75 order) to the Whiteside bits. Note that the discount won't show online but will be applied when the process the order. From what I've seen, their prices including the discount blow away every other source I've found.

Jeffrey Schronce
09-06-2007, 6:59 PM
LOVE Whiteside bits! I have about 10 profiles and absolutely love the performance.

As noted, Holbren offers good prices and excellent service. Hartville is a great company and has the best prices on larger orders in my experience.

David George
09-06-2007, 7:06 PM
Whiteside is an excellant bit. Another line that is also excellant, in Whitesides backyard, and owned by an ex-employee of Whiteside is Southeast Tool. As a matter of fact, the majority of their part #'s are identical.

www.southeasttool.com (http://www.southeasttool.com)

Mike Heidrick
09-06-2007, 7:17 PM
Whiteside bits from Holbren is where I look first. Holbren doesn't stock the entire line but has quickly filled special orders at a fair price.

QFT

I called Brian one time to order some bits. He was driving when he took the call. He pulled off the side of the road and took my order. That is one awesome member we have working with us. I go to him whenever I need products he sells - I know he truely cares about helping us get the products we need. He has also met or beat any price on Whiteside bits I could find. He is also the main guy for me for Byrd products, Two Cherries chisels, and Norton waterstones.

Whiteside bits have worked wonderful for me. I have a set I use with my PC DT jig.

glenn bradley
09-06-2007, 7:18 PM
My first choice with Freud a close second. Whitesides seem to hold their edge longer than others. I thought Holbren had free shipping on these but their website seems to be down right now so I can't confirm.

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2007, 7:20 PM
Whiteside bits a good bits. I've also never had a complaint with any of the router bits I purchased from Woodcraft during their $5 router bit sales.

Brian Gumpper
09-06-2007, 7:24 PM
I thought Holbren had free shipping on these but their website seems to be down right now so I can't confirm.

I run a dedicated server and the host turned it off for some reason. Can't get in touch with anyone until tomorrow.

Shipping is free. Standard discount is 10% for creekers with free shipping. If anyone gives you a better deal, I'll match it with no problem.

Bruce Page
09-06-2007, 7:27 PM
The Whitesides that I have are very good but I don’t think they are any better than Freud bits.

David George
09-06-2007, 7:33 PM
I will say that Freuds selection compared to others is vast. They have recently come out with a full line of Solid Surface bits that are geared to compete against Velepec.

Jim McFarland
09-06-2007, 7:38 PM
I'm just a hobbiest so take this FWIW:
I've been extremely pleased with Whiteside and CMT and I buy these when I use the bit frequently (e.g., 3/8" roundover or pattern cutting bit).
I've also been pleased with Lee Valley's "house brand." I buy these (assuming lower priced) when I only use the bit a few times a year (e.g., drawer-lock bit).

To be clear, I've never had a failure with any of these brands. I always buy 1/2" or 8mm shanks when available.

glenn bradley
09-06-2007, 8:15 PM
I run a dedicated server and the host turned it off for some reason. Can't get in touch with anyone until tomorrow.

Shipping is free. Standard discount is 10% for creekers with free shipping. If anyone gives you a better deal, I'll match it with no problem.

Thanks Brian! I was sure that was you. Glad I wasn't wrong like usual.

Ken Stevens
09-06-2007, 8:26 PM
Wow, what a lot of great responses. Answers my question. Also happy to learn about holbren.com. Tried to get there from a link on a woodworkers site but couldn't make it--now I know why.

Thanks much.
Ken

Ken Stevens
09-06-2007, 8:33 PM
In a followup on router bits, can I get some advice on spiral vs straight (dual) bits for mortise/tenon work. Is the spiral better and worth the higher price, and in which direction should the spiral work - down or up? I understand that up clears a blind mortise of chips, but maybe is not as safe? Not sure why that would be, unless the bit lifts the work off the table if not held down. Can someone help me with this aspect of bits.

Still preparing for some mortise and tenon work (and have decided to try initial approach with router vs table saw), so I need to invest in some bits.....hence the questions. I am doing some reading in parallel but advice here is concentrated, reliable, and highly credible. Thanks.

Ken

Steve Mellott
09-06-2007, 8:34 PM
I have a number of Whiteside bits and have been very happy with them. I've also used the $5 bits from Woodcraft and have also been happy with them. Strictly hobby use - not a production shop.

Robert Waddell
09-06-2007, 9:23 PM
I have a number of Whiteside bits and have been very happy with them. I've also used the $5 bits from Woodcraft and have also been happy with them. Strictly hobby use - not a production shop.

I've found the above to be true and I do operate a small production shop. I've also found CMT to be great quality but most of the time just a little more expensive than the Whitesides. I use the Woodcraft's as disposables in my dedicated "roundover" router table. I get a lot of cutting for my $5.
Rob

Scot Ferraro
09-06-2007, 9:26 PM
I love Whiteside bits and they are my first choice whenver I need a profile. Customer service from the company, should you need it, is top notch too. I had a bearing freeze on my rail cutter and a quick email to Whiteside and they advised me to send the bit back and that they would repair it. A few days later I received a completely new bit to replace the one I had an issue with. I own several of their bits and have never had an issue up until this one and I think it was just a fluke as sometimes happens. They stood behind their product and were more than happy to resolve my issue with minimal inconvenience to me. The edges on my Whiteside bits has lasted too.

I am a huge fan.

Scot

Todd Jensen
09-06-2007, 9:27 PM
Another vouch for the vouch pile; I've been impressed with the quality and especially the value: great quality for a good price.

Bill Wyko
09-06-2007, 9:33 PM
Anyone know if they are INCRA Approved?

Steve Clardy
09-07-2007, 2:45 PM
I must have a couple hundred router bits.
80-90% are whiteside

Brian Gumpper
09-07-2007, 4:46 PM
Anyone know if they are INCRA Approved?

Yes Whiteside has bits that are Incra approved and even an Incra starter set. They also have Leigh bits (1/4" and 8mm shank) as well as most if not all of the Keller bits.

Brian Gumpper
09-07-2007, 4:59 PM
I have some Rockler bits now but as I expand, it seems like going in the Whiteside direction is wise.

Ken,

You have touched on something that I try to educate people on when I can. Unless there is convience or time requirements (need it now), I don't know why anyone would buy a high priced, lower quality imported store brand bit or one from the home stores.

Rockler sells their 3/8" roundover bit for $27.99 and is on sale right now for $22.39. The Whiteside equivalent is $22.80 and other good makers mentioned like Freud, CMT, Amana ... are either similar prices or a little more. For less money, you can get a much better bit than the Rockler.

I guess as people move forward in their WW hobby they start to learn more but if I could have a top quality bit for the same money as a store branded imported bit, there is no decision necessary IMO.

Hope I didn't overstep forum boundaries being I sell the stuff.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-07-2007, 5:09 PM
Absolutely~!!

Jeffrey Schronce
09-07-2007, 5:40 PM
Ken,

You have touched on something that I try to educate people on when I can. Unless there is convience or time requirements (need it now), I don't know why anyone would buy a high priced, lower quality imported store brand bit or one from the home stores.

Rockler sells their 3/8" roundover bit for $27.99 and is on sale right now for $22.39. The Whiteside equivalent is $22.80 and other good makers mentioned like Freud, CMT, Amana ... are either similar prices or a little more. For less money, you can get a much better bit than the Rockler.

I guess as people move forward in their WW hobby they start to learn more but if I could have a top quality bit for the same money as a store branded imported bit, there is no decision necessary IMO.

I think you make a great point and dont think you overstepped any line when you are saying CMT, Amana, Freud are "good makers" just like Whiteside.

I will go one step further, which you probably avoided since you sell Whiteside, and say that Whiteside bits have ranked #1 in performance in recent FWW reviews for two profiles. I did see the following month that WC complained in FWW that their bits were not reviewed (even though the sell CMT and Whiteside). I think we will see WC in future reviews.

It shouldnt take a WW longer to figure out the Whiteside name. All they have to do is pick up any of the wwing mags! It is crazy how much Whiteside advertising is in FWW by vendors selling Whiteside! How many Whiteside 7 piece starter kits were advertised in the last couple months!?!!?

glenn bradley
09-07-2007, 6:18 PM
Ken,

You have just described my learning experience. Fortunately, with forums like this my learning curve was pretty short. It does take some listening and looking around to find out where to spend your money. Good response.

Jimmy Seckel
09-07-2007, 10:33 PM
First post here, just wanted to throw in a vote for Holbren. I bought a set of straight bits and a set of roundover bits from him and he accidentally sent me a cove set instead of the roundovers. I called him up and he said no problem keep the cove set and I will send you out the roundover set. Roundover set arrived today and I now have a free set of cove bits which definitely made this worth the trouble! Great service from Brian!

Bob Feeser
09-07-2007, 11:19 PM

That's why we don't call it networking, we call it notworking :D
They gotta fire the bum who tripped over the cord.

chip hamblin
09-08-2007, 1:10 AM
Over the last several years I have ordered many Whiteside bits from WoodworkersWorld.net. I have been uniformly pleased with both the bits and the speed with which Alan has fulfilled my orders.

Jack Briggs
09-08-2007, 7:59 AM
The Whitesides that I have are very good but I don’t think they are any better than Freud bits.

I can't agree with this. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Freud bits and would never buy them again.

Whiteside - any day of the week. They're top notch.

David George
09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
If you're buying router bits on price alone, I'd make sure they're American or European made. I've seen to many of the blue & yellow bits (Made in China) that are so badly manufactured that I'm not surprised when a customer tells us they have "vibration in their router." When sharpening said bits, we can tell the quality by simply taking the bearing off. Usually, the post that holds the bearing is off center. Furthermore,the thread pattern in the post is sub-par at best. Must be careful when setting the screw that holds the bearing back in as it's real easy to cross thread with the inferior steel used.

These unbalanced bits, after time, can wreak havoc on the bearings in your router.