PDA

View Full Version : mm16 Switch Problem-not a switch problem

Bob Winkler
11-14-2007, 9:07 AM
The MM16 switch problem is old news, but I do have some interesting info. After I bought my saw, it sat for over a year (yeah, I know I'm slow) and when I powered it up yesterday for the first time, it worked for 1 cut and wouldn't turn back on.

After freaking out because of all the posts about switch problems, I thought I would remain calm and contact Minimax. My rep (Mike) gave me Tim the technicians phone number and Tim suggested that the black button doesn't always pop all the way out, causing the switch to not function. Well, I scrutinized the problem closer, and discovered that the clear plastic dustcover does not allow the button to pop out, especially when cold and stiff. When I removed the two screws holding the switch cover on, the switch worked perfectly. When I put the cover back on, the switch didn't work. When I "loosened" the cover screws, the switch worked perfectly. End of story.

My guess is that AEG received a lot warranty return switches that were "no trouble found". I'm not saying that switch failures don't ever happen, but many times, the real problem is much simpler. I wish all my problems had such a good outcome.

Bob

Larry Fox
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
While the switch on my MM16 has not failed yet, looking at the design it seems to me that it is only a matter of time. Very sub-par design if you ask me.

Steven Wilson
11-14-2007, 11:43 AM
My guess is that AEG received a lot warranty return switches that were "no trouble found". I'm not saying that switch failures don't ever happen, but many times, the real problem is much simpler.
Bob, your guess would be wrong. Before the failed switches were returned us owners had to go through a lot fidling before getting MM to agree that it's the switch. BTW, much of the fidling occurs with the cover off so a problem like yours would have been figured out in the first few minutes.