PDA

View Full Version : source for CA glue?

JD Dolan
12-07-2007, 6:19 PM
Could you guys recomend a place with good prices on CA glue? I'm assuming all CA glue is about the same, so if I'm wrong on that, I'd appreciate hearing what brands you'd recommend. Thanks, J.D.

Cyril Griesbach
12-07-2007, 6:38 PM
DJ, I've been happy with Starbond brand and I think they're reasonable.

http://www.starbond.com/

Hopefuly others will also respond.

Cyril

Tony Wheeler
12-07-2007, 6:45 PM
I have had others tell me to try these folks and I will my next order since I can save the price of shipping over where I was getting my CA
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html

TYLER WOOD
12-07-2007, 6:47 PM
Find a rc plane/car store. They have the stuff at the one here locally. It is pretty standard supply for them. It's not a great price here, but nothing for specialty is.

Anchor Sarslow
12-07-2007, 7:14 PM
Though this is nothing more than Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) you can get it all over the place. I am trying to get the specs on the types I used at my last job. we had 6 or 7 different types of Lock-tite brand of CA.

I have not price shopped this stuff at all but other than some viscosity differences most of it is very much the same.

You can also get this stuff online at Rockler and Woodcraft.

Dean Thomas
12-07-2007, 7:21 PM
Biggest deal is to get somewhere that goes through a LOT of it cause you want to buy fresh.

Also, if you're doing a lot of work, using a lot of glue, you can buy 2 oz bottles for a much better price than you can buy two 1-oz bottles for.

If you use an accelerator, it's good to get the accelerator from the same folks you buy the glue. Much more likely to work well together. :cool:

Lars A Stole
12-07-2007, 7:28 PM
The best price I have found for CA glue is Hartvilletool.com when it is on sale. (Everyday price is pretty low too). That said, the last time I bought a a bunch from them it seemed like the thick glue (not light or medium) didn't dry in a reasonable amount of time. I suspect that I got an old batch. This may happen from any retailer, but something to be concerned about. Kind of argues for buying it from a place that has a huge volume of sales rather than your local Rockler or Woodcraft retail store where it may have been on the shelf for ages.

Justin Bukoski
12-07-2007, 7:39 PM
I just bought some from CUSA and it was cheap compared to the little tubes at the hardware store.

robert hainstock
12-07-2007, 8:06 PM
I ahve tried a lot of the building supply, hardware store stuff, and I get mine from WSI Distributers go to their website, They sell the 2oz. bottle for $5.95. They have several consistonc
ies, but the instant is the best i have ever used. They gave me a tip the last time I ordered, htat I should store the unused containers in the frig. I receently pulled one out that has been in there for over a year. :)
Bob Hainstock

John W. Willis
12-07-2007, 9:41 PM
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html[/URL]]

I second wooden wonders, great price, fast shipping.

Brian McInturff
12-07-2007, 9:56 PM
Yep, I'm a WoodenWonders purchaser also. Getting ready to order some Medium. I tend to go through more of it than the thin or thick, unless I'm making lots of pens and doing a CA finish. Buy it in either the 8oz or 16oz and keep it in a cool dry dark place. My bottles will last over a year as long as I don't let the shop get hot.

Jay Fields
12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.hinkleymall.com/caglue.html

Denny Rice
12-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Could you guys recomend a place with good prices on CA glue? I'm assuming all CA glue is about the same, so if I'm wrong on that, I'd appreciate hearing what brands you'd recommend. Thanks, J.D.

JD,

Just remember when purchasing a good CA glue, there are basically 2 types thin and a thick style glue. Make sure you use a good rubber glove when using this stuff, it will glue your fingertips togeather!

Brian McInturff
12-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow, I might have to check them out Jay. Their prices look really good. And I'm ordering some afterwhile.

Dean Thomas
12-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I have two brands for you to look into, both easy google searches. Stick Fast and Handibond.

Stick Fast is available through a lot of distributors for prices ranging from $6 to $8 for 2oz of thick, med, or thin clear glues, mostly between $6.50 and $7.00. Stick Fast also has a range of other products including some highly touted epoxies. Some folks see this as the Cadillac product, but it does not cost more than most other brands, and less than several that we all know.

Handibond is another brand, one that I have personally used a lot of. Seems to last well, even in somewhat abusive situations. I think that they will still deal directly with individuals. Website says no order too small, but prices go down as quantity goes up. Have gone through 2 bottles in the last 6 weeks. Freedom Pens Project pens! Some with CA finishes.

If you have friends that are involved in turning and the use of CA you might try to bulk order this stuff, either in larger bottles for decanting down to smaller bottles (I certainly would not want the job of dipping the glue out!!) or a box of smaller bottles (1, 2, or 4oz bottles; I think they all come 12 to a case). I generally get mine for a LOT less than the $7 price that most of the places are charging.

Quickly researched "best price" I found for Stick Fast was $6.50 for 2oz, at Woodenpost.com. Hartville & Highland were both at $6.95 for the same bottle.

Stick Fast is "Made in the USA" and brags as being 99.5% pure. Handibond is made in Taiwan and claims "commercial grade" but gives no purity rating. Stick Fast evidently does not seep into porous materials as easily as some other brands. I'm not sure what the measure "cps" is, but Stick Fast is 2000 cps and Handibond is 1000 (both using "thick" numbers; "thin" comparators are 5 vs. 2.5).

Reach your own conclusions based on this or any other post! I'm probably going to use one of these two, depending on need and availability. I'm going to recommend that my new hardwood store guy consider ordering some of this stuff into his shop. :D

Greg Just
12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I have been buying CA glue at the local dollar store. I get somewhere between 3 and 6 little tubes for a buck and have never had a problem with it. My fingers stick together with this stuff the same as the expensive stuff! :eek:

It is thin, but I turn a lot of pens and it works just fine gluing the brass tubes.