PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Table Completed

Micah Carter
12-25-2007, 8:29 AM
For those who read Popular Woodworking, this is my spin on the Greene & Greene style library table from the November '07 issue. I made some changes, such as altering the dimensions of the top (the original was HUGE), making the drawer wider, and replacing the wood drawer pull with a wrought iron one. To me, these changes seemed to update the table and make it a little more streamlined and modern looking.

Mike Cutler
12-25-2007, 8:36 AM
Very, very nice!!

The wood is absolutely beautiful. Kudos on the selection of the wood for grain and tone.

I like your proportions, and the wrought iron drawer pull is a classy and authentic touch.
The breadboard ends are stunning and really provide a nice contrast to the top to define the table.

Once again Micah. Well done.

Dick Bringhurst
12-25-2007, 8:36 AM
That's a beautiful job, Micah. Dick B.

Craig D Peltier
12-25-2007, 9:01 AM
For those who read Popular Woodworking, this is my spin on the Greene & Greene style library table from the November '07 issue. I made some changes, such as altering the dimensions of the top (the original was HUGE), making the drawer wider, and replacing the wood drawer pull with a wrought iron one. To me, these changes seemed to update the table and make it a little more streamlined and modern looking.

What was type of wood and finish? Good job!

scott spencer
12-25-2007, 9:47 AM
Very, very sharp Micah! I love the wood, the look, and the unique design. Well done!

gary Zimmel
12-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Sweet looking table... Great job Micah.

Michael Weber
12-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Love that swirly grain.

Christopher Pine
12-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Wondewrful table! I like the pull as well... really goes with the wood well!
Merry Christmas

Tom Young
12-25-2007, 2:56 PM
Micah,
Wonderful job on the table. Please let us know what wood you used. I'm guessing Sapele or Mahogany. In any case, it looks great.

Glenn Clabo
12-25-2007, 2:58 PM
Micah,
Wow...that's just sweet. You succeeded in your quest to update the design. Just plain well done all around.

Bill Wyko
12-25-2007, 4:11 PM
Absolutly georgous. That should be in the 2007 favorites. Another family heirloom to last for generations.

Don Bullock
12-25-2007, 5:27 PM
That's a beautiful table. Your design changes are excellent and I love the wood choice.

Micah Carter
12-25-2007, 8:24 PM
What was type of wood and finish? Good job!

It's african mahogany... I had to pick through about 1500 bd. ft. of some really gnarly stuff to come up with what I did. One of my boards in the top twisted between milling and glue-up, hence the one darker mismatched board in the top. The "ebony" plugs in the breadboard ends were cut from some qswo scrap and ebonized with a solution of vinegar, steel and rusty nails.

Finish is just one coat of sealer, sanded, then some 20-25 sheen nitrocellulose lacquer. About 4 coats on the drawer/legs, and 10 or so on the top.

Micah Carter
12-25-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the very kind comments. This is my second piece of furniture (if you want to call my first project, a stickley tabouret table, furniture), and I honestly did not expect the responses I received here. I've been lurking for a long time, and it's great to hear such kind comments from people who's opinions I respect so much. Your praise has definitely inspired me to move on to the next project as quickly as possible.

George Bregar
12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Nice work Micah. Wondering how the breadboard end were attached. Are the plugs functional?

Micah Carter
12-27-2007, 9:34 PM
Nice work Micah. Wondering how the breadboard end were attached. Are the plugs functional?

The plugs are functional in that they cover #12 x 3" wood screws that hold the breadboard ends on. The very center plug is decorative. The two small ones outside that conceal wood screws in round holes, and the two outermost plugs cover screws in oblong holes. The center screws keep the ends aligned with the top, and the slotted holes on the outside allow for movement while keeping the joint tight.

The plugs are also just a friction fit, so they can be pried out later if anything needs to be tightened for any reason.

Thanks for asking! By the way, that attachment method for the breadboard ends is how Peter Hall would have done the original.