PDA

View Full Version : first set of chairs

GERALD HARGROVE
01-04-2008, 7:56 AM
This turned out to be not so difficult after all. I have five completed and need more wood to complete the other three. The wood is Jatoba, matching the flooring and table that I completed a few moths ago. Let me know what you think.

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:26 AM
Nice work, Gerald! I admire folks who can make chairs!

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 9:40 AM
Gerald,
Nice set you have there! Very nice indeed.
I agree with Jim.... I have alot of respect for those who can make multiples of the same thing ala a set of chairs. You can tell me templates make it easier-faster etc etc.... but it's still a ton of work, the same work over & over & over.
I made a run of cutting boards this year, ok only 4 of them.. but that was enough repetition for me.:rolleyes:

Well done sir.

Greg

Dennis Kelly
01-04-2008, 1:34 PM
Gerald, great job.
What did you use for joints for the back rails?? I am thinking of making a set for my self, but I am a little nervous about those joints.

Dennis

keith ouellette
01-04-2008, 1:45 PM
I like that a lot. Love the style and color. Good work.

Matt Crew
01-04-2008, 1:50 PM
Thats a real nice set of chairs to go along with a very nice table.
I'm with Jim and Greg.
I'm not much for making multiples, but thats because I have a hard time just having 1 turn out right.

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 2:09 PM
Nice, but is that seat comfortable? I would think that it being flat might prove to be an issue.

Dave Ray
01-04-2008, 2:17 PM
Gerald, really nice chairs. I especially like the shot with the table in it.

gary Zimmel
01-04-2008, 3:10 PM
Gerald

Great job on the chairs. How many jigs did you have to make up?

Scott Velie
01-04-2008, 3:12 PM
Nice work! The dog looks really happy.

Scott

GERALD HARGROVE
01-04-2008, 3:20 PM
Dennis,
I angled the leg in the mortiser, and used a 1/4" bit. Figured the angle that I needed and cut a wedge out of a 2x4 for the angle. Next time I will try to make it longer.

GERALD HARGROVE
01-04-2008, 3:28 PM
I was concerned about the seats as well, but they are actually very comfortable.

GERALD HARGROVE
01-04-2008, 3:30 PM
Gary,
Just one template for the back legs and the angle wedge for mortising the slots for the back slats. And of course a few clamps, a square, and a flat surface.

julie Graf
01-04-2008, 3:35 PM
very nice chairs - i like the proportions and the subtle curve. nice job!

i like the table too - with the detail at the bottom column. is that a through mortise with a pin?

myself - i like the flat seats compared to the routered/carved curved seats - AKA the butt-mold.

GERALD HARGROVE
01-04-2008, 4:22 PM
Julie,
It is a through mortise with a pin, and it is the reason I decided to ditch the motise attachment for my drill press and purchase a mortiser. I had to be creative with masking some mistakes on that one.