PDA

View Full Version : What is this wood?

Wade Lippman
01-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I found this 16" diameter double crotch piece in the street; I guess they figured splitting it for firewood would be too much trouble. So I got 4 nice turning blocks out of it.

Any idea what it is? The heartwood is a bit oranger than the picture suggests.

Steven Beam
01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Possibly osage orange

Russ Sears
01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Looks like black cherry to me judging by the bark.

Mike Cutler
01-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Looks like it to me also. I had to clean up two trees the beavers brought down two winters ago. Looks just like that picture.

Wade

It's beautiful wood, and mills to a glass like finish easily. Let us see what you make from it.

Wade Lippman
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

The wood color is right for cherry, but to my eye the bark is too coarse, the yearly rings too defined, and the sapwood too thick.
Also, although I have several in the woods behind my house, the neighborhood where I found it has only ornamentals and cherry isn't commonly planted as an ornamental.

But, maybe...

Rob Pope
01-22-2008, 1:04 PM
The wood color is right for cherry, but to my eye the bark is too coarse, the yearly rings too defined, and the sapwood too thick.
Also, although I have several in the woods behind my house, the neighborhood where I found it has only ornamentals and cherry isn't commonly planted as an ornamental.

But, maybe...

Looks like Black Cherry ... they are rare in our area just north on Lake Ontario

When we run across them they are usually the only black cherry tree in that general area.

ROBERT ELLIS
01-22-2008, 1:12 PM
Red Oak. IMO the growth rings in the photo looks more like something you would see in the oak family rather than in cherry. While the bark does resemble cherry, there are also a lot of oak species that resemble it as well.

Robert

Sam Yerardi
01-22-2008, 1:19 PM
I agree with Steve Beam.

If you go to:

http://www.osageorange.com/Osage_Orange_S/GOIM0030.GIF

you'll see a picture of the end of an osage orange log

If you go to:

http://www.ci.troy.mi.us/ParksRec/Trees/TreesToPlant/OsageOrange2.jpg

you'll see the bark

Jon Lanier
01-22-2008, 1:36 PM