PDA

View Full Version : bench vise installation

John Pohja
02-08-2008, 2:53 PM
I'm going to install a wilton bench vise on my newly constructed workbench. The laminated bench top is 2" thick. Wilton gives the option of installing the undercarriage using lag screws or counterboring the top of the bench and bolting all the way through. Of course the counterbore would have to be plugged. Any advice/experience on the best way to attach a bench vise? John

Sam Yerardi
02-08-2008, 2:59 PM
I'm not familiar with the vise you're talking about but I recently installed an antique 12" wide woodworking vise to one of my benches and I used thru-bolting rather than lag screws. My only reason for doing so was it seemed to be easier to hold the vise in position (becasue of its weight which was significant) and bolt it up. If it hadn't been so heavy, the lag screw approach might have worked just as well.

Larry Conely
02-08-2008, 3:20 PM
I used lag bolts to fasten my Record 52 1/2 vise over 20 years ago. The rear jaw was let into the top behind the apron. It is still rock solid.

Larry

Jesse Cloud
02-08-2008, 3:29 PM
Another vote for lag bolts! That's how I did mine. If I did through bolts with a plug, I would be worried that the nut would work loose.

mark page
02-08-2008, 3:31 PM
I used carriage bolts (what we here call plow bolts) all the way through with countersunk holes. I feel it is stronger with the weight of the vise dissipated through the bench top instead of just on the lag bolt threads, but I also have a Jorgensen mounted with lag bolts and haven't had problems with either one.

John Pohja
02-08-2008, 4:09 PM
I used carriage bolts (what we here call plow bolts) all the way through with countersunk holes. I feel it is stronger with the weight of the vise dissipated through the bench top instead of just on the lag bolt threads, but I also have a Jorgensen mounted with lag bolts and haven't had problems with either one.

Mark, yeah i remember plow bolts growing up on a dairy farm here in NY. Left-handed threads on the shares. John