PDA

View Full Version : WOO HOO!!! My first tool purchase.

Scott Baer
02-14-2008, 9:40 AM
I just bought the first bit of equipment. A 35618 Steel City table saw, a grizzly G1029 DC, and Steel City air filter. I know its not a lot, but I'm excited! I thought it more important to save my lungs (and my marrage) by keeping it as clean as possible (my shop will be in the basement) than to purchase my next peice of equipmet (planer, or jointer?).

Altough there are not as many posts referring to Steel City stuff as there is for the other top brands, I thank you all for your insight.

Danny Thompson
02-14-2008, 9:55 AM
No pix--it didn't happen!

Sam Yerardi
02-14-2008, 9:58 AM
Congratulations Scot! Your life will never be the same :)

glenn bradley
02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
My eyes! I've gone blind! Oh, wait, there's just no pics ;-)
You'll get several suggestions but your jointer should be next. . . the planer will come.

Peter Quinn
02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
The tools are mearly expensive...the time she lets you use them without argument is pricless. At least in my case. Fellow basement dweller here excited to see the development of another 'Man Cave". Pics?

Scott Baer
02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
picking up monday. pics to follow. in the meantime. running 220v.

Peter Quinn
02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
If possible include pics of lowering the machine into the man cave...err...person cave...I took pics of lowering my PM66 into mine but cannot post in defference to those that read lips! Man I wish I had a walk in basement. Do you?:D:D:D

Scott Baer
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
point taken. gonna be interesting. no walk-in. one set of straight stairs... and saw is already assembled in Steel City showroom. have to break it down i spose. In fact, I was a little worried about that. it's already all alligned and if I take off the top table, it will mess it all up.

jason lambert
02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Congrats!!! I aggree with you on the dust collector 100%. If there is dust int he house she will not like it. Just also watch the noise doesn't bother her running tools all day, other than thoes two points and safety my wife doesn't care infact she likes it.

Ed Falis
02-14-2008, 1:26 PM
point taken. gonna be interesting. no walk-in. one set of straight stairs... and saw is already assembled in Steel City showroom. have to break it down i spose. In fact, I was a little worried about that. it's already all alligned and if I take off the top table, it will mess it all up.

You can take the tabletop off (assuming this is a cabinet saw?) and the motor out etc. Just make sure you keep track of any shims on the table corners, and make sure they go back where they came from. Then you'll need a dial gauge to get the miter slots realigned to the blade. If it's a cabinet saw, it's not that big a deal.

Scott Vigder
02-14-2008, 4:14 PM
I HEAR that is a really nice saw, but without visual evidence, well, it's just another potentially really nice saw :p.

gary Zimmel
02-14-2008, 6:24 PM
Been looking all over this thread for a couple of pics of some new tools.....

Something must be wrong with my computer.

( congrads)

Scott Baer
02-15-2008, 9:33 AM
I know, I know... Pics next week. picking it all up on Monday. 72 1/2 hours. :rolleyes:

Joe Vee
02-15-2008, 9:45 AM
Scott,

Congrats on the tool coup!!

How do I post pics here or add a link to my online photos? Thanks

joe

David Pearson
02-17-2008, 7:41 PM
Still no pics. I think he's making things up.:p

Scott Haddix
02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I think he tried to get it downstairs without breaking it down far enough and is lying in bed with a strained back!

Bruce Page
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
You're headed down a slippery slope!
Congrats

scott spencer
02-18-2008, 8:29 AM
That's a heck of a start Scott! Enjoy and be safe...

Monroe Brown
02-18-2008, 8:35 AM
The DC and filter are good to get out of the way up front. They go a long way to making your new hobby more enjoyable and safer for everyone in the house.

Congrats,

MB

Curt Harms
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Good dust collection is a very good start, noise control is an issue as well. What will yield forbearance is products that warm the cockles of SWMBO's heart. If good and useful items appear from Man Cave, good vibes will follow:D

Curt

Mike Heidrick
02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
You will never know the dust that will be missed with your selection of tools. Great job and great start. You did some goo dresearch and will be more than happy today!

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 1:32 PM
Monday, still no pics. How can those of us living vicariously though others carry on with teasing like this. My shop luckily is not in the basement, but 150' from the house. But I am going to have to keep using the Craftsman contractor saw another year or so before I move up to a cabinet saw. Although when I told my wife about Saw Stop she said I am all for that purchase. Just not my wallet.

Scott Baer
02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
First project... elevator into the basement!!'

Well, with a little help from a fellow member, we got the thing down into the dungeon. Had to tear it down to the cabinet and trunion. (and even that was heavy).

The unit has been sitting in their warehouse/showroom assembled for a while so the first thing I did after re-assembly was clean table and wing (yes singular.. wing... somehow the right wing got misplaced so they ordered me a new one and it's not in yet). I used wd-40,+ scotch brite, then three coats johnsons and boy did it turn out sweeet.

The next thing I did was replace the stock 6', 14 gauge wire/plug w/ a longer 12 gauge one. (...that sucked).

As soon as I get the wing (hopefully today), I will fully re-assemble, (however w/ out the table extension, still need to build one w/ router insert) and finally post some pics. I have been working on this project for a week now and still haven't got the 110 fully run for the filter and misc stuff.

... wiff already mad...

Scott Baer
02-20-2008, 8:41 PM
no wing yet :mad:

Rob Will
02-20-2008, 9:32 PM
I would buy a big wide jointer next. Planers are all relatively wide and easy to find but wide jointers are not as common. Serious furniture makers who buy rough lumber or cut and dry thier own trees, would all like to have a jointer just as wide as thier planer.

The general advice around here is to get at least an 8" jointer. You will never hear anyone complain that thier jointer is too wide.

If price is an issue, I would go all-out on a big (probably used) jointer and buy a small planer. You can always upgrade planers later.

Rob

Scott Baer
02-26-2008, 7:10 PM
OK, finally got the right wing, but they sent the wrong one. They send me the titanium one. So now I have an all regular cast top with a gold right wing.

What to do now? obviously a better wing, but looks ridiculous on my brand new shiny saw.:confused:

Todd Bin
02-26-2008, 7:23 PM
Tell them that since they sent you that one you need a matching one for the left and then you will have the only gold winged table saw around.

Mike Heidrick
02-26-2008, 7:32 PM
It is probably the most used side of the table anyway so I would keep it! Had to be expensive. I would say that side is the express lane on my saw.

Scott Baer
02-26-2008, 7:59 PM
yeah, spose i'd be the only one here concerned with the color coordination of his shop. might score better points w/ the wife, though.

Greg Muller
02-26-2008, 8:36 PM
Gold Wing??? Is this a table saw or a motorcycle????

Without pictures I CAN'T TELL!!!

congrats, by the way...

;)

Greg

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 9:48 AM
some pics...

moved to end

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 9:49 AM
more pics...

moved to end

Rod Upfold
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Congrats on your endless journey of trying to convince your wife that you need more tools.

I have owned the steel city 18" bandsaw for almost a year now and thoroughly enjoy the saw and it's quality.

Welcome to woodworking.

Rod

Bob Hallowell
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
OK, finally got the right wing, but they sent the wrong one. They send me the titanium one. So now I have an all regular cast top with a gold right wing.

What to do now? obviously a better wing, but looks ridiculous on my brand new shiny saw.:confused:

Well Scott I know how to fix this problem of yours, lets meet next week halfway and I will give you my cast wing for your titanium! I picked up my Titanium saw the week before you and It came with one cast iron wing:D

Bob

Rod Sheridan
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Gold Wing??? Is this a table saw or a motorcycle????

Without pictures I CAN'T TELL!!!

congrats, by the way...

;)

Greg

Greg, too light for a Wingabago.........Rod

Tim Allaire
02-27-2008, 2:19 PM
I dont mean to be rude but this thread is hilarious...I am sitting in a room full of people laughing outloud about your saw(everybody is looking at me like I am crazy)...sorry, but I couldnt help it. The funny part being nobody else but true woodworkers would understand your plight.

Ironically my wife is the same way-who knows if my shop will ever be safe enough.

Brent Ring
02-27-2008, 3:21 PM
How long are we waiting for pics? Waiting.......

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 3:27 PM
i posted pics. they somehow got inserted into page 2 of this thread. anyone know how to move them to the end of the thread?

J. Z. Guest
02-27-2008, 3:32 PM
i posted pics. they somehow got inserted into page 2 of this thread. anyone know how to move them to the end of the thread?

The threads here are nested Scott, at least in my view. So depending on which post you reply to, that is where it gets posted. (I think...) Some more up on the forum software can confirm.

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 3:46 PM
ok. here you go...

deleted from previous post as to not take up any more room on servers.

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 3:47 PM
some more...

Scott Baer
02-27-2008, 3:50 PM
holy crap!! still didn't work!! i hope i'm better at woodworking.

pics are a few posts up.

Brian Effinger
02-27-2008, 3:52 PM
Scott - I too saw them on the second page. To change it to a chronological order, go to the top of the page, under the page numbers (page 3 of 3) and select "Display Modes". From that list, choose "Linear". That will rearange things so posts will not be out of place. I had noticed this on a few other theads, and it took me a minute to realize what was going on.