PDA

View Full Version : New Box finished w/pics

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 1:17 PM
Attached is a 12" X 8" box I finished up a couple of weeks ago from a piece of maple I actually stumbled into from my local wood source. The board was an 8 footer and 7 inches wide, cost was $26.00 out the door. The box finish is a few coats of Zinnser shellac sealer and Briwax. The top is made from 1/2" material, wood is walnut and ambrosia maple, the splines are also walnut. I finished the top differently, I used Tried and True original finish which gives it a nice glow. Thanks for looking.

Gene

Todd Burch
03-14-2004, 1:52 PM
Very nice Gene!

Tyler Howell
03-14-2004, 2:08 PM
Tasty Gene,

Very Tasty!

Dick Parr
03-14-2004, 4:32 PM
Very nice Gene!

Jeff Skory
03-14-2004, 6:02 PM
I like it! Gene, are the sides also made of Ambrosia maple or something else. If they are then the finish you put on the top produced a very different look than the side.

Jeff Skory
03-14-2004, 6:03 PM
What kind of hinges did you use? So far I have only made a couple of recipe boxes but would like to try my hand at something a little more complicated.

Jim Becker
03-14-2004, 6:26 PM
That's a yummy box, Gene! Great figure and as always, I like the contrast between the lighter wood and the walnut. Nice job!

Chris DiCiaccio
03-14-2004, 6:48 PM
Attached is a 12" X 8" box I finished up a couple of weeks ago from a piece of maple I actually stumbled into from my local wood source. The board was an 8 footer and 7 inches wide, cost was $26.00 out the door. The box finish is a few coats of Zinnser shellac sealer and Briwax. The top is made from 1/2" material, wood is walnut and ambrosia maple, the splines are also walnut. I finished the top differently, I used Tried and True original finish which gives it a nice glow. Thanks for looking.

Gene

Gene, What great work and a beautiful box. Great design.

Bob Marino
03-14-2004, 6:50 PM
Gene,

Nice job, especially like the contrasting woods. Is the top hinged or a lift off? Were the splines made on the table saw?

Bob

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 7:01 PM
What kind of hinges did you use? So far I have only made a couple of recipe boxes but would like to try my hand at something a little more complicated.

Hi Jeff,

The sides are made from the same board as the front and it is finished the same. The lighting is what makes it look different, it would look the same if I turned it around and took another picture with the same lighting. I have routed finger grooves in the ends of the top, you can see them in the pix if you look carefully. No hinges, the top lifts off and there is a walnut frame on the bottom side of the top that centers it. thanks for the compliment.

Gene

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 7:04 PM
Gene,

Nice job, especially like the contrasting woods. Is the top hinged or a lift off? Were the splines made on the table saw?

Bob

Bob,

Lift off and the splines were made with my trusty Makita biscuit joiner set for maximum depth.

Gene

Steve Clardy
03-14-2004, 8:32 PM
Great box Gene. I always did like the mixed woods. Steve

Matt Bridges
03-14-2004, 9:47 PM
That's beautiful Gene!

Matt

Greg Tatum
03-14-2004, 9:54 PM
Very nice....what bit set did you use for the top?
I'm ready to try my hand at raised panel and cope and stick.....a box project will be just the ticket.
regards
Greg

Jack Diemer
03-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Looks awesome, what are you going to put in it, or is it a gift?

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Very nice....what bit set did you use for the top?
I'm ready to try my hand at raised panel and cope and stick.....a box project will be just the ticket.
regards
Greg

Hi Greg,

I made the top with a mini rail and stile set from Woodcraft, ogee pattern. The top is only 1/2" thick which wouldn't permit the full size set. I have never used Woodcraft router bits before but decided to take a chance with their excellent return policy. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price.

Gene

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Looks awesome, what are you going to put in it, or is it a gift?

It is more or less a decorative piece right now. No real plans for it. Thanks for the comments.

Gene

Greg Tatum
03-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi Greg,

I made the top with a mini rail and stile set from Woodcraft, ogee pattern. The top is only 1/2" thick which wouldn't permit the full size set. I have never used Woodcraft router bits before but decided to take a chance with their excellent return policy. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price.

Gene

The quality of your workmanship shows it...thanks for the info.

Greg

Gene Collison
03-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments on my box project.

Gene

Chris Padilla
03-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Awesome! Lets see some inside pics! :D

Fred Voorhees
03-15-2004, 8:56 PM
fantastic box! Love the ambrosia panels set in the walnut framework. Set the entire box off. And the figure is incredible. I don't know if I could give something like that away as a gift. I don't really think I could part with it.